Today .....by days end the Garden here at home is SOOOO MUCH CLEANER!!! This evening, while the Man was edging and mowing the front, I asked my oldest to help me do a little clean up in the garden. We pulled the grass out of the edge of the sweet potato bed. While he was mowing the front I used the weed eater in the garden a little......until it died that is. My back doesn't really tolerate repeatedly starting that thing, so I waited for Him to be done with the front yard. He was nice enough to use the weed eater all around in the garden. All the old vegetation that my girl and I had pulled out went into the burn pile. When he finished the weed eater he started the burn pile up and then helped me cut up the old tomato and tomatillo vines. Having all of that help to get all the old plants out was HUGE for me. Of course there is still plenty of clean up left. But I can do it sitting on my cart and I won't have to lug around heavy dead plants. During the course of our clean up, we pulled out the last of the squash vines. Unproductive. I have had a problem with Squash Vine Borers here for years. I was telling the kids about them, and showed them the damage to the vines. At one of the damaged places on the vine I broke it open. Inside were two big grubs of the vine borer. We say gross, the chickens say yum. I guess I won't ever be able to grow squash unless we sell our house and move. LOL And I also got some peppers smoked earlier in the day. I put them away for a rainy day soup.
Aug 12, 2012 | 10:28 AM PST
I could do treatments that would kill the grubs in the ground I guess. These things have MANY life cycles here in this climate. The moth lays eggs on the stem, they hatch and bore into the stem then eat it from the inside. They then come out and bore into the ground and then change back into a moth. Growing them vertically would in no way help with this problem. But I hadn't thought of just doing a treatment on the whole area.
Aug 12, 2012 | 10:35 AM PST
I did use Sevin powder on the Zucchini plants that I had early this spring. I reapplied it a few time until they got established. They still didn't do very good. When we took them out I still found a bunch of holes where the grubs were :(
Last edited by angelsgarden2 on August 12th at 12:58 PM.