Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

Cutting back Liatris

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
karslinky blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2005 5:41 PM PST

I have never cut my liatris (Never thought of them as a cut flower but now that I know there won't be many out in the garden next year!!) until I read this thread - always hated how they looked after blooming. Cut them back yesterday and that little spot in my garden looks SOOO much nicer!
treeman blog photos
Posted: Aug/17/2005 11:13 PM PST

Yes, you can cut them back pretty much as far as you want to look good. At the flower shop we raised liatris as a cut flower in the field and would cut the stems to the ground as we harvested. had a good crop every year.
robsch
Posted: Aug/17/2005 10:22 PM PST

This is my second year dealing with Liatris, can they be deadheaded? Last year i only had one bloom, this year i have 20.
wcaution
Posted: Aug/28/2005 2:37 PM PST

do liatris disappear for the winter? should i mulch?
Judomi blog photos
Posted: Aug/28/2005 5:43 PM PST

liatris dies back in the winter. I cut mine down and it comes back in the Spring.
junco
Posted: Sep/01/2005 6:47 PM PST

One year, instead of discarding all the spent liatris stems, I left some on the ground near the clump. I had read that the birds like the seeds. The next spring it didn't look like the birds had eaten much but I had TONS of babies that sprouted from the grounded stems. I have since moved them to other beds and given some away.. Love those free plants!
Mainegal
Posted: Jul/25/2006 1:53 AM PST

i leave the seeds on the plants for the birds and always have many new plants, have given alot away, started with 5 bulbs. have it all over the yard, the deer don't eat it. have mostly purple and some white.
going to pot some up and sell it out front along with some other freebies growing in the compost piles. the butterflies love it too
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account