• Plants
Bookmark and Share

Kiwi

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
iluvtolaff
Posted: Feb/24/2006 5:30 PM PST

Do the kiwi bear flowers? If so, what color? I'm going to try planting seeds soon (not sure when to do it here in Northern Indiana). I want them to cover the front of my mobile home because it is 'naked'--no windows, just siding--boring looking! What can I attach to the mobile home for them to grow on? Or will they naturally just grow up and cover the siding?
Mikhailah blog photos
Posted: Feb/24/2006 8:37 PM PST

Keep us posted iluvtolaff, I'm interested to know how you go about
planting them from seed.... climate, position etc...
ruokdel
Posted: Feb/24/2006 9:44 PM PST

Maybe the best source is to ask our new member lorri (or Lily P. Fudd) from New Zealand..they are native to that area........A neighbor used them to shade her dog kennels but they were never rampant.....they shared the wire with a grapevine...........How about some kiwi recipes out there?
iluvtolaff
Posted: Mar/03/2006 3:48 PM PST

I'm wondering how deep to plant them--how far apart--what to use that will go into the siding (or attach to the outside of the siding) for the vines to cling to?
ruokdel
Posted: Mar/03/2006 8:55 PM PST

chicken wire would work and you can attach it to fence poles ..I'd set them at least a foot away from the house so you can get in to paint or whatever.........if you need it sturdier, theres always chain link..my neighbors dog kennel was chain link and she put the chicken wire across the top to provide a leafy shade..it was high enough she could get in there easily herself.........
larrystewart photos
Posted: Mar/04/2006 3:51 AM PST

yes, the kiwi has flowers. The variety i have are simple white flowers, with few petals. It is very easy to see the difference betweene the male and female flowers due to the anatomy. The flowers arnt too hardy, the petals fall off easily. They dont have much of a fragrance, and they dont last too long. The plant grows similar to grapes. is very very hard to manage and grows very quickly, so u must keep on top of things. Ill see if i can dig up a pic of the kiwi flowers from last year.. My plants are about 6 feet apart. I bought the plants (m and f) from a local walmart for $20 each. and it took about 4 years to start producing. I dont give them anyspecial care, and they grow like crazy.

Well, i just found the pics and added them to this reply. The second pic is the flower which the fruit comes from. The flowers appear in early june and the pedals fall about fathers day. The fruit is picked in the late fall.
larry

Attachments:

TylerJ
Posted: Apr/04/2006 2:28 PM PST

Hi Larry. I'm in SW Ontario and would like to try growing kiwi. I have some sprouted now from a store bought kiwi. I think I will plant a bunch more seeds to make sure I get both male and female plants. I wonder what you do in the winter? Do you just leave the vine as it is or do you take measures to protect it? Does it die off and regrow or does the vine survive each winter? I would think we would be in a similar climate zone. Thanks for any info.
Kozykitten
Posted: Apr/04/2006 4:08 PM PST

Here in zone 5, I didnt protect mine and the vine survived the winter and now has leaf buds opening up
TylerJ
Posted: Apr/04/2006 7:13 PM PST

Now I'm confused. Are the kiwis being talked about here the 'hardy kiwi' variety or are they the kind you find at the grocery store? The ones in Larry's pics look like store boughten kiwi - the ones I'd like to grow. Thanks
larrystewart photos
Posted: Apr/04/2006 9:09 PM PST

Hi, the ones i have do look like the store-bought ones. Im not specifically sure of the exact variety. They are slightly smaller than the store bought, but not a significant difference, and in my opinion, taste the same. I have done nothing to protect them during the winter. They are similar to grapes, in that the leaves will fall off during the winter. You will have 'naked ' vines. and now, at about this time, they will start to bud. They have survived temperatures below 0 degrees farenheit (sp) and they have been coated with ice for days during ice storms. They grow so well here ( in new york) that it seems as if they were meant to be grown here. The vines are very aggressive and must be kept under control to keep the plant looking nice and neat. I have lost that battle, but im happy that i got 300 kiwis last year , so i dont care too much . I have grown them on an arbor, but they have far surpassed that to heights I cant even reach. New vines/ growth will grow from the old growth. In my varieties case, the new growth looks red and fuzzy.
Hope this helped ,

larry
Page 4 of 5 First 2345 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account