Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 5[123 Last

Kiwi

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
larrystewart photos
Posted: Jan/20/2006 3:09 AM PST

Actually, they are in partial shade. I got the plants at a local walmart for , i think, $20 each (1 male and 1 female). It took about 4 years to start producing. They are growing like weeds. You would think they are native to new york, the way that they are growing.
Kozykitten
Posted: Sep/06/2005 6:10 PM PST

I was given two Artic Beauty Kiwi plants this spring. Unfortunately my hubby accidently sprayed weed killer on one and killed it (bad boy hubby). I know I will have to wait until the living one matures to find out if I need a female or male plant. But I need to know when to prune and how to prune the living one.
Mikhailah blog photos
Posted: Oct/03/2005 5:43 PM PST

Kiwi is my favourite fruit. We have imported ones which are delicious.
Do you know what the ideal growing environment is for these?
Tropical is probably out of the question, right?
larrystewart photos
Posted: Oct/21/2005 11:32 AM PST

Ive had kiwis for the past 7 years. I was in wal-mart, saw a male/ female plant in 5 gallon containers. They were about $40 combined. It said they should fruit in about 3 years after planting. Since my grapes were not doing well, i decided to grow the kiwi vines in their place. Well, the 3rd year came with no fruit. I live in new york. These vines have survived heat of 90 degrees + for a whole summer, no water for months, partial shade, and even ice storms in the winter with sub zero temperatures for weeks at a time. The plant grows unbelievably fast and out of control. So im not sure what the ideal climate or location is, but they love where they are right now. Because they grow so fast and out of control, i just prune them haphazardly to keep them where i want them. I swear, they grow a foot or more a day, wrapping around everything. So, the 4th year came. Because the plants were a pain in teh butt ot keep under control, i told myselfif i didnt get any fruit, i would remove them. Sure enough, as the leaves fell off in the fall, i saw 2 little kiwis. Apparently they dont ripen well pn the vine. Yo have to pick them, store them in the refrigerator for a few weeks, then take them out to ripen. One ripened well, and tasted great, and the other one didnt. I decided to give the vines another year to prove themselves. The next year, i got 8 kiwis, the next 32. This year, i picked 159 with probably another 200 on the vine. I will take pics and post them. My advice is, grow them in a location where they have room to grow. also, i would consider them a high maintenance plant as far as pruning goes. me, i just hack away. they grab on to my bird feeders, windmilll, adjacent trees.......

larry
Kozykitten
Posted: Oct/21/2005 12:05 PM PST

Thanks. Mine are out where there isnt too much to get ahold of and we are going to build an arbor. The one I have left is not growing a whole lot this year, but I just planted it in the spring.
larrystewart photos
Posted: Oct/21/2005 4:10 PM PST

they are great for an arbor. they will fill it out in no time. I bought a few cheap garden arches from a hobby store. In one season, u cant even see th arches, as they are covered %100 by the plant ill try and takes this week.

larry
GrandPoppa
Posted: Oct/21/2005 8:10 PM PST

I had about 7 vines. Every year they would leaf out and then a hard freeze would kill them back. Took the rest of the year for the vines to recover. Finally after 8 years with no fruit, I took them out! Wasted effort!
prettylady
Posted: Oct/29/2005 9:44 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by larry stewart
Ive had kiwis for the past 7 years. I was in wal-mart, saw a male/ female plant in 5 gallon containers. They were about $40 combined. It said they should fruit in about 3 years after planting. Since my grapes were not doing well, i decided to grow the kiwi vines in their place. Well, the 3rd year came with no fruit. I live in new york. These vines have survived heat of 90 degrees + for a whole summer, no water for months, partial shade, and even ice storms in the winter with sub zero temperatures for weeks at a time. The plant grows unbelievably fast and out of control. So im not sure what the ideal climate or location is, but they love where they are right now. Because they grow so fast and out of control, i just prune them haphazardly to keep them where i want them. I swear, they grow a foot or more a day, wrapping around everything. So, the 4th year came. Because the plants were a pain in teh butt ot keep under control, i told myselfif i didnt get any fruit, i would remove them. Sure enough, as the leaves fell off in the fall, i saw 2 little kiwis. Apparently they dont ripen well pn the vine. Yo have to pick them, store them in the refrigerator for a few weeks, then take them out to ripen. One ripened well, and tasted great, and the other one didnt. I decided to give the vines another year to prove themselves. The next year, i got 8 kiwis, the next 32. This year, i picked 159 with probably another 200 on the vine. I will take pics and post them. My advice is, grow them in a location where they have room to grow. also, i would consider them a high maintenance plant as far as pruning goes. me, i just hack away. they grab on to my bird feeders, windmilll, adjacent trees.......

larry

Larry sounds like they love your environment there. I started kiwi seed from fruit to no avail. Do you have any cuttings from these plants that you would be willing in to trade?

Thank ya,
Peg
larrystewart photos
Posted: Oct/30/2005 8:21 PM PST

Well, I'd be glad to send some cuttings. I just need the proper way to do this to ensure there survival and use.

These pics i took today. There are 159 kiwis in my fruit bin, probably another 200 outside on the vines. As u can see, the vines grow completely out of control and out of reach to keep in control. Believe it or not, there is a nice arbor and trelis underneath there.

Larry

Attachments:

pennyandrusty
Posted: Oct/30/2005 10:24 PM PST

That is amazing Larry!! Do you just have one male and one female plant? Or is that multiple ones you have growing on your arbor. Can you actually eat all that kiwi? We'll be glad to lend you a hand if you can't.
Page 1 of 5[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account