Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Help! My delphiniums...

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 4:19 PM PST

Hi,
I went outside and cut the stinkers down just before I read this.. cussing them out and nearly crying the whole time. They were huge this year... as tall as I am. I noticed that their stems were browning from the bottom up and were pretty hollow. They looked unhealthy. Maybe root rot?
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/21/2005 2:10 AM PST

It was a 100 in Oregon? It made it to 109 here in miserable south dakota. I can't thank you enough for your help and it really helps to know that the delphs are supposed to look like this. I feel a little better because I did the right thing by cutting them down... although I did spray a fungicide. I have new growth coming up so I hope thats a good sign. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 4:39 PM PST

Thank you both for the speedy replies. I have cut them back almost completely and have tried to remove any debris and dead stems etc. I hope this helps and that I don't lose them for good. They are one of my favorites in my garden! As you can see in my pics, they are already getting yellow near the bases. They were very full this year too and may not have gotten enough air. Thanks again. It helps just talking it out with others who go through the same things!!!!!

Attachments:

fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2005 4:26 PM PST

has your weather been unusually hot this year? they don't like the heat all that much, i don't think. mine were spindly this year but i just divided them this Spring so no big surprise there. sounds to me like they're fine...just all done for the year. if you've cut them down keep watch and see if new growth starts. hollow stems are normal for delphs even when they are at their prime. i read an article about using them in floral arrangements. it suggested filling the hollow stems with water and plugging the end w/cotton balls to make them last longer in the vase!
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 5:00 PM PST

These pics were from a month ago or so. In my ortho gardener's problem solver book it has all kinds of things that sound like they have a fungal disease and should be destroyed!!!!!!!! NO! I will not destroy them! I will try my best to save them first. Please wish me luck. If you saw them now you would know why I am in despair!
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 5:07 PM PST

I think I found it and its not good. It's called aster yellows and can affect many other plants including delphiniums!!!!! Its a viral disease spread by leaf hoppers. It too says to destroy the plant.. oh and here is another that sounds and looks right... southern blight! Thats it! I give up and am putting away the books and will follow my instinct. I just hope I don't infect any other plants.
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 12:52 PM PST

Help! My once gorgeous delphiniums are looking horrible! Their leaves are yellowing and falling off... its almost bare! I don't think it is a pest but will welcome any advice!!! I have NEVER had any problems with these gorgeous plants! If pics will help, I will gladly take 'em. I can't find an article anywhere to help!

Thank you,
Laura
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2005 5:29 PM PST

be sure and dispose of the cut plant material away from the composter or other plants just in case. if you've removed the dead stuff it shouldn't affect the other plants. then just wait and hold your breath. if new growth appears you're ok! almost forgot!!! your delphs were spectacular! i envy your lawn, too! it's so ...green!
blackbeard
Posted: Jul/20/2005 6:01 PM PST

thanks for the complments on the lawn. Even it looks bad right now due to the water estrictions. We are only supposed to water it by hand!!!!! It's ridiculous! That would take me three days!
There is new growth on the delphs and I let it be. Hope it lives....
Thanks again for you help and support!
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Jul/20/2005 3:31 PM PST

Laura, this time of year my delphs always look like that. the yellowing starts down low on the plant and the blossoms start dying back. it's about time to cut them back to the ground right now. if i'm REALLY lucky i'll get a second flush of foliage...if not i have a pedestal and gazing ball i park in front of the bare spot it leaves. my growing season never seems to be long enough for a second blooming on these guys but that's the 'joy?' of living in the north.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account