Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Yahoo Raspberry Jam Time

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
RandyCobb
Posted: Aug/20/2005 4:27 AM PST

I edited the blueberry jam recipe above, so if anybody copied it, look for the corrections. I had 5 cups of sugar when there was supposed to be only 4 and I forgot to mention the lemon juice. The lemon juice is to insure adequate acidity which is necessary for water bath canning.
RandyCobb
Posted: Aug/20/2005 3:59 AM PST

It went fine, Ann. I think I got about 40 eight ounce jars done. I used the smaller jars because most of them will be given away. The grandkids here go through a couple of jars a week, but they use the strawberry and Marionberry before they will try anything else. One year I bought Bing cherries and made cherry jam for them because they like cherries so much. They never touched it. Rotten kids.
Herbyann
Posted: Aug/20/2005 2:44 AM PST

Yer Blueberry Jam is to die fer Randy! I will testify to that.!!!!! How did the Sus. Blackberry Jam go? Sounds good!
marygold
Posted: Aug/19/2005 1:24 PM PST

dear randy, just froze 10 lbs. of blueberries. could I have the recipe please. thanks in advance!!!
RandyCobb
Posted: Aug/19/2005 3:00 PM PST

Siskiyou blackberries are a berry developed by the University of Oregon agricultural department for the berry market. They are a large berry, easy to pick, and with good flavor.
RandyCobb
Posted: Aug/19/2005 2:58 PM PST

Marygold, I use commercial pectin in most of my jam. The one I have used mostly in the last couple of years has been "FruitJell" or something like that put out by Ball. I don't think it matters which brand is used though. There is a recipe sheet that comes with the pectin. I have also done some recipes without pectin but there is also a risk the jam will not set if you do. It takes a longer cooking time to reach the gel point making the jam without pectin added. And I have never done that method with blueberries. They don't have as much natural pectin as the blackberries do. Also the fruit flavor is better in the jams when the commercial pectin is used because the cooking time is reduced. Just from memory, I would say that it takes 4 cups of crushed blueberries. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add a box of pectin and cook the ingredients until they come to a boil. Add 4 cups of sugar and bring the mix to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Ladle into hot jars up to 1/4 inch from the top rim of the jar. Wipe the rim of the jar with a damp clean cloth. Affix two-piece lids and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. The water in the water bath has to be boiling before you start timing.
RandyCobb
Posted: Aug/19/2005 2:47 PM PST

I missed some of the previous postings that I need to respond to. Kinnika, I would be happy to exchange a jar of jam with you.
RandyCobb
Posted: Jul/27/2005 3:37 AM PST

Sash, I like to do that with blueberry jam. I made some black raspberry jam last year but I didn't this year. I made Siskiyou blackberry jam this year but next year I'm thinking about trying some loganberries. I tasted one at the berry field. Not really a good test but I think I will try them. I think I have made about 180 jars so far this year and have four more batches of blueberries to process.
tropicsand
Posted: Jul/27/2005 1:42 AM PST

Oh yum....sigh. You're efforts will be your reward. Enjoy.
sashweezy
Posted: Jul/27/2005 1:09 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by kinnika
sash oh yes with icecream is to die for but I make milkshakes fro the grandkids and always make too much so I just HAVE to drink it ..after all you can't throw out good food right LOL

What waste food? Never!
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account