Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

White Scale???

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Kale
Posted: Jul/29/2005 6:37 PM PST

Went to a seminar and was told what looked like whitew fly was white scale is there such a thing>If yes which plants do they invade?

I sure didnt look like scale to me I had it on my indoor palm Plant Timothy and it was horrifying!
Even checked them out under the microscope,,unbelievable!

Any input will tickle my fancy*LOL.

Where ever that may be *LOL.

THANKS...
Kale
Kale
Posted: Feb/17/2007 6:57 PM PST

Still interested if anyone knows about this.....

Kale
Kale
Posted: Feb/17/2007 8:37 PM PST

Thanks Ron but I do not have this problem, I was just curious about white scale...Does it look like scale that appears on indoor (house) Palm plants? You know, like a raised freckle.(only white I'm guessing)

While I have you here..ever hear of white algae and black algae,still trying to figure these out too.

Kale
Kale
Posted: Feb/18/2007 12:03 AM PST

At the seminar the Speaker had a plant there and had what looked like white flies,(could have been white aphids Now that I know a little more*lol) he said was white scale.I didn't know of Scale movement can be seen with the naked eye...Pic #34 looks a little like it. IF SCALE AND BE SEEN MOVING ABOUT !
If not I will go with white fly.J...ust a curious question from 05.

As far as Algea, I was just curious on what it was and if it was in fact such a thing and was it going to be a concern with my water features (out door) and pond. Dont need more battles thenlast year with my pond.
Was told that green is fine just doesnt look too nice to some ponders.

Thanks,
Kale
trudy blog photos
Posted: Feb/18/2007 1:29 PM PST

White Scale is common here in the south, they can be mistaken for white flys at first glance which is also common here. But with scale you have to treat them before they develop the hard shell, I think March is the best time to treat, not sure right now. They will eventually kill a plant by sucking the life out of it if they are left alone. As far as what plants they like, ALL of them as far as I know. trudy
Marg1
Posted: Feb/26/2007 4:45 AM PST

You can remove the scale using rubbing alcohol and a makeup remover pad.
You need to remove them as they are attached to the plant. You can still remove them once they develop the hard body but it usually takes a fingernail to dislodge them. Once you have removed all visable ones, make a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and water and put into a sprayer. Then I would spray the plant to make sure all the little nooks and crannys in the plant have been treated. You need to do this a few times about a week apart to make sure you kill the entire cycle. In about 7 - 9 days the eggs will hatch and you will need to start over. They are also airborn so you should also quarantine the affected plant or soon they will be in everything.
treeman blog photos
Posted: Feb/26/2007 11:15 AM PST

White flies live in the soil as larva, then pupate and you see them flustering about the plants as adult flies when you disturb them.

The white scale, like all scales is a sucker, that will attach itself on the plant surface and draw on the plants juices for sustenance. It will become pretty much stationary and attach itself to the plant for life. After egg hatch, it does have a crawler stage for a short spell allowing it to move about the plant or from plant to plant. That is when you can see it moving about.
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Feb/26/2007 8:19 PM PST

When I see the white flys on my Gardenia bush I scatter some epson salts under my bushes and water it in it helps for the black algea that gets on the leaves too.For my indoor plants I spray them with vinegar and water.
Kale
Posted: Feb/27/2007 11:26 PM PST

Thanks for your replies,tips etc... Gardeners:banana-wa

Quote:
Originally posted by trudy
White Scale is common here in the south, they can be mistaken for white flys at first glance which is also common here. But with scale you have to treat them before they develop the hard shell, I think March is the best time to treat, not sure right now. They will eventually kill a plant by sucking the life out of it if they are left alone. As far as what plants they like, ALL of them as far as I know. trudy
Are you stating that there is indeed a time in the life of scale that you can see the pest with a naked eye before the hard shell is grown(or appears)?

Very interesting.
I know about hard dark nearly black scale (had a bad case on my palm plant due to not enough lighting) and what it looks like under the microscope,but I have never seen or read that there was a time the naked eye can see it.

Treeman,
What does it look like when it is moving about and that is after the hard shell part of the life cycle?
I recorded the mother taking care of the eggs and such.It was just too interesting I could have watched her all day had I had the time,she sure knew what was under that shell! I teased her a little she got ticked off and fixed her eggs just as she wanted them*LOL
Extremely interesting....

If anyone can find a pic of the walking stage it would be ever so cool!!!!!!!!!:broccoli: :carrot:

Kale
Kale
Posted: Feb/27/2007 11:34 PM PST

OH MY IS THIS IT! *lol
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biod iversity/invertebratesprog/softscales/flora/life.a sp

Have some reading to do *lol
Kale
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account