Page 1 of 1[1]

Pumpkin 'Baby Boo'

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Sep/13/2005 9:14 PM PST

I grew this for the first time this year and I read somewhere that they could be ate just like a squash. If you have, how did you do it? Do you need to wait to harvest when the vines die or are they more edible picked sooner?

Oh and one more: How long do they store?

Thanks,

Vera
BlueBelle
Posted: Sep/13/2005 10:54 PM PST

I've grown those too, Vera. But we only grew them to have as decorations for Halloween. They look great with our gourd mixture on the bale of hay we get every year. Just to make sure, you are talking about the miniature ones, right? And they're white (pic below)? Not the Lumina, which is the regular sized white pumpkins. I never thought of eating them because they're so small. I'm interested to know more about them as a food too. I was thinking of growing them again next year.

[IMG]http://images.andale.com/f2/117/117/8919072/c lick2enlarge/1074802189722_pumpkin_baby_boo.jpg[/I MG]
sashweezy
Posted: Sep/13/2005 11:35 PM PST

Don't like pumpkins for anything. Pumpkin pie is only good because of the additives. They are only good for Halloween as far as I am concerned. My mother, however, made pineapple jam using pineapple and pumpkin as, I guess, the pumpkin takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it.
BlueBelle
Posted: Sep/13/2005 11:51 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by sashweezy
Don't like pumpkins for anything. Pumpkin pie is only good because of the additives. They are only good for Halloween as far as I am concerned. My mother, however, made pineapple jam using pineapple and pumpkin as, I guess, the pumpkin takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it.

But do you like squash, Sash? The miniatures are types of gourds but not true pumpkins, so I'm wondering whether they taste more like squash?
fozbot3 blog photos
Posted: Sep/14/2005 12:08 AM PST

Martha Stewart hollowed them out and put pumpkin mousse in them. that's funny Sash...my kids would rather die than eat squash but love pumpkin pie. you're right...must be all the spices i put in it.
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Sep/14/2005 5:03 AM PST

Yes, Blue Belle 'Baby Boo' is the minature
Ok so you saying C. pepo are really a gourd and not pumpkins??

Vera
BlueBelle
Posted: Sep/14/2005 5:18 AM PST

Well, if I'm getting this right... gourd is a general term, the family for pumpkins, cucumbers, squash, melons. I don't think the miniatures are actually pumpkins.
Vera_EWASH
Posted: Sep/14/2005 1:45 PM PST

Ok...I'm confused easily LOL!
I'm going to pick off some of the younger ones and cook'em up...then I'll let you all know, if I don't kill over first
The oldest ones that I've harvested seem like they'd be kinda woody

Vera
sashweezy
Posted: Sep/14/2005 2:13 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Belle
But do you like squash, Sash? The miniatures are types of gourds but not true pumpkins, so I'm wondering whether they taste more like squash?

I like all squash except Spaghetti Squash.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account