Page 1 of 3[123 Last

How do you "cut back" a mother-in-law's tongue?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
queenbee
Posted: Oct/22/2004 10:22 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by Judy Gatte
I cut mine back, all it did was trim off the top with scissors and it is doing fine.

So basically you just cut it straight across then?
swindyi
Posted: Oct/23/2004 10:58 AM PST

I cut mine this summer , some one gave it to me last year and it was getting all weak and floppy so I just cut the weak leaves down to the base about 2 inches from the soil and I couldn't believe the growth I got. I had it on my covered porch and I sware if I sat there I could watch the new leaves grow . I always thought they were very slow growers , but the new growth really took off. I just measured the new growth and they are between 18" and 24" high already . I think I cut it in Aug. I have it in the kitchen now. The leaves I cut are about 4" or 5" I cut the leaves in a point . I don't know if you will get that kind of growth in the winter , but I am going to cut it back again next spring just to permote more leaf developement. Good luck with your mothers.
swindyi
JudyGatte photos
Posted: Oct/23/2004 5:10 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by queenbee
So basically you just cut it straight across then?

no I followed the pattern and kept it kind of pointed like they are originally so that it would still look like it should.
queenbee
Posted: Oct/16/2004 3:33 PM PST

Several of my family members have mother-in-laws tongues (sansevieria trifasciata)..They get too tall and begin to fall over.My Mom had a friend from Korea who said she cut them back but didn't go in to detail..Does anyone know the best way of doing this? Mom's is really looking bad and I'd like to do it for her while I'm here.
JudyGatte photos
Posted: Oct/22/2004 2:11 PM PST

I cut mine back, all it did was trim off the top with scissors and it is doing fine.
Daisy
Posted: Nov/07/2005 8:42 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by prettylady
ROFLBO!!

Had one of those MILs that I would have loved to snip hers off

Well....a less drastic method would involve good ol' duct tape.

But seriously: my plant is now having all sorts of babies growing beside the mama plant. Mama is not doing too well though. I want to pot those babies up seperately, but I am wondering if I can bring mama back from her death bed by cutting it back, or maybe it is too late?
Spider_Lily photos
Posted: Nov/07/2005 8:23 PM PST

MY mother-and-laws tongue is beginning to have a long stalk of buds on it can,t wait till it opens never seen one bloom
vegemm photos
Posted: Oct/25/2005 9:27 PM PST

So was wondering how everyones is doing that cut theirs back...Mine needs to be cut back but was told that would kill it...and I don't want to lose it as It was left to me by a friend that passed away a little over a year ago...
Kale
Posted: Oct/25/2005 9:41 PM PST

*LOL I thought you ment you wanted to shut your MIL up! I wanted to see how you did it *LOL

Only to find out it is a plant you speak of *ROTFLMBO ..

Kale *lol
vegemm photos
Posted: Oct/25/2005 10:09 PM PST

LOL...No I love my MIL...Best you can find...
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account