• Plants
Bookmark and Share

What is this plant?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
maggieevans photos
Posted: Jun/23/2005 2:02 AM PST

Here is a picture of my moss roses. I think they are very pretty.
birdlover46 blog photos
Posted: Jun/23/2005 4:15 AM PST

Love them too maggie...and the other is a nasty weed that I have picked thousands of this year.......they love wet....and when it rains or you water....the next day you have LOTS MORE! UGh........not a good one to keep.......in my humble opinion.
But suit yourself!
MarieKrause
Posted: Jun/23/2005 8:48 PM PST

hmmmm if it doesn't rain a bit before too long, I'm gonna be happy if I have pig weed growing:o) I water as much as I can everyday and flowers try to bloom but the flowers are little puny things sometimes. My tomatos are still putting on like crazy though and I'm managing to keep things alive.

I agree though about keeping the little plant to see if you like the flower before ditching it. A weed is only a weed until someone thinks it's pretty.
jopa
Posted: Jun/23/2005 10:44 PM PST

Hmm, I wonder if there are other edible plants called pigweed - what you have does not look in the least like the edible pigweed around here - also called lamb's quarters (Chenopodium album). the edible pigweed has leaves somewhat like small spinach - they are sort of diamond shaped and broadly toothed. They are sort of a dull, dusty-looking green and sometimes have purplish spots. Pigweed is actually tastes good when cooked like spinach - but it takes a long time to get enough. I think the plant in your pot may be portulaca. Are the leaves a little thickish and a little shiny or somewhat succulent? Try Google images for portulaca and see if that looks like what you have.
Please don't eat it. I doubt it is pigweed but I do think it is something that produces a pretty flower. Best to you,
Pat
BlueBelle
Posted: Jun/24/2005 1:39 AM PST

It's a portulaca. But there are different types of portulaca. The Moss Rose is Portulaca grandiflora. The one you have looks like Portulaca oleracea - Purslane is its common name, sometimes it's called Pigweed. But pigweed the real weed's botanical name is Amaranthus. Looks like this (the weed):
http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/l-5083/..%5Cima ges%5Cpigweed.jpg

See, that's why there are botanical names.
jopa
Posted: Jun/24/2005 11:20 AM PST

Right you are, Blue Belle. Scientific names help us to talk about the same plant - local names for plants vary. The pic you posted as "pigweed" does not look remotely like what we call pigweed here.
What you show as pigweed is also called that and is a member of the amaranth family, as you note. What we call pigweed (also called that) is a [I]Chenopodiaceae[/I] (goosefoot). Thank goodness for scientific nomenclature.
I agree with you also on the type of portulaca likely pictured.

This is "our" pigweed:

[IMG]This is "our" pigweed[/IMG]

(I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get a pic from the Internet to here.
Oh well - typing in the scientific name will get you a true pic.

Have a good day.
It's going to be a scorcher!
BlueBelle
Posted: Jun/24/2005 11:40 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by jopa
Right you are, Blue Belle. Scientific names help us to talk about the same plant - local names for plants vary. The pic you posted as "pigweed" does not look remotely like what we call pigweed here.
What you show as pigweed is also called that and is a member of the amaranth family, as you note. What we call pigweed (also called that) is a [I]Chenopodiaceae[/I] (goosefoot). Thank goodness for scientific nomenclature.
I agree with you also on the type of portulaca likely pictured.
This is "our" pigweed:
[IMG]This is "our" pigweed[/IMG]
(I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get a pic from the Internet to here.
Oh well - typing in the scientific name will get you a true pic.
Have a good day.
It's going to be a scorcher!

Jopa, just copy the url (the http address) and paste in right into your text. Like this: (Chenopodiaceae)
http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/FloraData/1001/Ima ges/Chenopodiaceae/Chenopodiaceae-Spinacia%20olera ceae-141.jpg
columbie46
Posted: Jun/26/2005 2:00 AM PST

The first posting, the picture of the pot with 'purslane' in it.... is not moss roses, it`s a weed, I get lots, always pull them out and whenever I find one hiding, and quite large, I still pull it...never have seen a flower on it!!
We need a rain, a good overnight soaker here in NW Lower Michigan!! And then the weeds will grow faster. Seriously we do need rain...
Kale
Posted: Nov/03/2005 3:43 PM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by columbie46
The first posting, the picture of the pot with 'purslane' in it.... is not moss roses, it`s a weed, I get lots, always pull them out and whenever I find one hiding, and quite large, I still pull it...never have seen a flower on it!!
We need a rain, a good overnight soaker here in NW Lower Michigan!! And then the weeds will grow faster. Seriously we do need rain...

YES it does flower! I let one go, it got really sprawled out about 2 1/2 ft wide and stems about 18+ inches ..It flowers during the day.Saw it once , ment to take pics but was distracted and forgot.I believe it was a pretty yellow flower and will see if it comes back elsewhere next season...It grew it in full sun.
Maybe you didnt let it grow long enough.The large one is the only one I saw flowers on.Pulled everyone out I think..

Kale
Kale
Posted: Nov/03/2005 3:47 PM PST

I got curious after posting, I though I remembered taking a pic,couldnt imaging me not *lol
Funny how I found it so fast without an hour search*LOL

So here you go Purslane a pretty plant.

Kale

Attachments:

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account