Page 1 of 2[12 Last

How to finish and use this steel container?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
wasabi
Posted: Aug/26/2005 2:55 PM PST

I made [URL=http://www.people.virginia.edu/~wds3r/planter .html]THIS[/URL] steel container but not sure if I am done yet. Would you paint it or just leave it rusty? It is really big compared to my current displays of container-based plants so I'm wondering if it should be set off in a different part of the yard. It would dwarf the other pots and possibly look out of place.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Zana
Posted: Aug/27/2005 12:51 AM PST

I like it natural, but could see it painted depending on where its being used. But my vote still goes au naturel. How much would you charge for something like that? Love your other stuff too.
Zana
Hoeandhope blog photos
Posted: Aug/27/2005 12:59 AM PST

I am with Zana I like the way it looks now.
kenw photos
Posted: Aug/27/2005 1:07 AM PST

Leave it natural, or.....

have small children/grandkids? Perhaps they could paint some favorite garden scenes/animals/whatever. It is large enough to give them lots of room to create upon, and big enough to let several contribute. An overcoat of clear Krylon will protect the art, and allow them to use safer paints.
sedumgrow
Posted: Aug/27/2005 2:28 PM PST

i like the natural look too.kinda like me[most of the time] naturally weathered.
Herblady
Posted: Aug/30/2005 10:18 PM PST

my preference would be "natural" as well.... I think when containers get "too busy" it takes from the plants and/or flowers themselves...

Herblady
wasabi
Posted: Sep/04/2005 12:48 AM PST

Zana - I have not attempted to sell this planter yet so haven't given it much thought. It is quite heavy - 60 to 70 pounds? I would probably price it at 80 bucks if I let a friend cart it off to their antique mall. I wish I could sell it for more given the blood, sweat and back pain it took to get it in my truck and on/off my welding table by myself. It was a beast. I have access to lots of the parts so it would be good to find a local buyer interested in several of them.

I'm glad everyone likes it natural - I do too and will keep it that way. I'll let the next owner paint it if they like!
Zana
Posted: Sep/04/2005 1:50 AM PST

Wasabi
Too bad I won't be making a run down to DC and Baltimore soon...not with gas prices like they are. Otherwise I might try to talk you out of that piece. Maybe next time I'm down that way. In the mean time, keep the pics coming.
Zana
wasabi
Posted: Sep/06/2005 9:00 PM PST

Zana,

Here are some candlesticks I made this weekend and just added to my website:

[URL=http://www.people.virginia.edu/~wds3r/candleh olders.html]candlesticks[/URL]
Zana
Posted: Sep/07/2005 2:56 AM PST

Wasabi,
Is that rebar in the second photo? I think they're great. Thanks again for sharing.
Zana
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account