Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Anyone ever grow raspberry?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
ChristaCarol13
Posted: Apr/28/2006 7:12 PM PST

I know I spelled that wrong. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone has. I started from a rootstock (I think that's what the term is), any special tips?
Briarwoods photos
Posted: Apr/28/2006 7:58 PM PST

Raspberry?

Full sun and give it lots of room.
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2006 10:39 PM PST

Total agreement with the above.

Sass
ChristaCarol13
Posted: Apr/29/2006 1:09 AM PST

How long before they start sprouting green sprout things I read about?
cantate7
Posted: Apr/29/2006 8:05 AM PST

I don't know anything about them but I do know that my mom has had them for years, does nothing to them, and they produce like crazy. One of the great reasons to visit Mom at certain seasons...

cantate7:dancing t
ArcticQueen
Posted: Apr/29/2006 9:51 AM PST

I have some in my backyard. They grow wild up here. Someone gave us 4 and we stuck them between the greenhouse and the shed. Now then when they fill in it will be darn near impossible to pick them because they get so out of hand. We pretty much ignore them. Sometimes I water then because I don't want them to feel neglected. But that is my insanity. It will grow. Heck we had a tree fall and land on ours and they didn't mind a bit. Yours will grow. Be patient. Umm John ties ours to the shed to make room to get in there to pick them. He uses orange twine. They don't mind. Yours WILL grow. *L You can't hurt them.
ChristaCarol13
Posted: Apr/29/2006 2:01 PM PST

lol, Im worried now! Hopefully they won't take over my house. They are planted in a pot in front of our archway, but I have a trellis to train it to. I guess as long as I keep up with it. Thanks everyone!
birdlover46 blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2006 3:44 AM PST

Got my first raspberry starts from my mom years ago now.......started with 6 and have the whole area the length of a garage. We do prune them in the spring and cut out the dead canes and always wait until they have all pretty much greened up. Ours bear twice a season. Late June or early July and then we cut them out and all the new growth of the spring has nice buds etc and ready for Sept.-Oct. bearing until the frost hits them. I made jam and make lots of stuff with them.....eat alot while picking....Mine are called Heritage.....very nice ones.....and easy to pick with the old canes removed...Birdie <><
ChristaCarol13
Posted: Apr/30/2006 5:16 AM PST

Wow, thanks for your input. How do you take a cane for next years? To start another one? Did that question make any sense?
birdlover46 blog photos
Posted: Apr/30/2006 1:52 PM PST

If you are meaning how to start a cane for the next year.....you do not have to worry.........they just shoot up new ones each year........the old canes die.....you remove them or cut them down to the ground and then the new ones just appear.........just as a perennial appears again each year....so once you have them.........they are there and not alot of work necessary at all. I love to eat them as I pick them..........to me that is the BEST! But I love to make a fresh raspberry salad too. Hubby and friends enjoy the freezer jam I make with them each and every year........so easy and so fresh tasting! Good luck with yours.....not sure how it works in a pot.......never thought of that..
God bless.........

Attachments:

Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account