Page 1 of 1[1]

succulent fertilizer

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
jojoe photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 10:08 AM PST

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a question.I was told that a good fertilizer for succulents is african violet fertilizer.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this or even advice & opinions on what you use to fertilize your succulents.

I am new to succulent real new i have been growing succulents for about 2 or 3 weeks.Most of the things I've done in that time has been what i was told by other people who know what they're talking about.

Thank you for any help i can get!!!!
Betts blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 11:30 AM PST

Welcome!!

I read in one of my books..that cactus and succulents like their plant food a little on the acidic side

So, I fed them with a diluted tomato plant food and they were right! I now take our leftover 'black' coffee and dilute that in our watering can and water them with it when they need water.

Both do not like wet feet or moist soil...it is better to let them dry out before watering. I don't put saucers under them, just water slowly so it soaks in nicely. Being retired, I enjoy taking my time watering our potted plants.

OH, succulents like bright light but not as much as cactus...now, all this depends whether it's in ground or potted...indoors or outdoors. Look at your areas with good light...our sun here is intense so a lot of our succulents get only 5 hrs of sun, outdoors. The leaves of a succulent will burn if it gets too much sun, just like us

Wishing you well (^_~)
witt blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 12:34 PM PST

Well, shoot! I didn't know that. I'll have to try that diluted black coffee with my succulents. All of mine are outdoors and in the ground or pots.

1kiwi blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 1:41 PM PST

I didn't know that either!..Thanks Betts!..
mudpies blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 4:11 PM PST

I planted mine in a planting soil mixture and wish I hadn't. They're outgrowing their container. I'll try to post a photo before the evening's over.
purplepassion photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 5:46 PM PST

I nearly fried my Aloe Vera plant last summer. Thinking I'd give him some fresh air and sunshine...right ?? WRONG !!
Betts blog photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 6:05 PM PST

They love being outside...but not in direct sun...morning sun or partial shade should be okay...now in San Francisco..they do fine in full sun, lol. I've seen some nice succulent gardens there!

Wishing you well (^_~)
jojoe photos
Posted: Aug/01/2012 9:08 PM PST

I am not familiar with tomato fertilizer,what is the NPK ratio of tomato fertilizer? What number in the fertilizer ratio should be the highest? Such as i use 15-30-15 on my plants i'm trying to help bloom.Most bloom buster fertilizer has an npk of the middle number being around twice as high as the first & last.I looked at succulent fertilizer which is 2-7-7.That doesn't seem like much to me.I also feed all my plants with vitamins,minerals etc... with super thrive.I love this product if you have ever used it you won't stop unless you run out!!

If anyone can help with a NPK ratio that is what succulents need or which number is what coffee gives them.

I hope that made more sense than it was babbling!!

Have a nice day tomorrow!!!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account