Page 1 of 1[1]

What is this worm/beetle thing that looks like a red bean?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
moomoomoo
Posted: Mar/23/2012 7:37 PM PST

I found a few of these guys as I was digging out the weeds/grass in my yard. They look like red beans, measures to almost 1 inch long, and the little pointy end moves in a wiggly way. I don't know if they're good or not so I've been tossing them as I found them. Any ideas what they are? Thanks in advance

Attachments:

purplepassion photos
Posted: Mar/23/2012 8:39 PM PST

I believe that's a moth pupea. You could put a couple in a jar with dirt, ventilate the lid and see what comes out.Could be something like this....Ruby Tiger Moth.

Attachments:

moomoomoo
Posted: Mar/24/2012 9:15 AM PST

Thanks. I might do just that. Do you know if they're something that I want to have in my yard? I'm planning a vegetable garden although right now I'm just digging and mulching everything until I have a more concrete idea of what I really want
purplepassion photos
Posted: Mar/24/2012 3:40 PM PST

I don't think they cause any harm....it's just part of their life cycle. The catapillar pupates a few inches under the soil,which is what you found, turns into a moth and flies away. I've also heard of fishermen using them for bait !!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account