Page 1 of 1[1]

Day Lily info for a newbie

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Mike18
Posted: Mar/13/2012 9:55 AM PST

I planted my first garden in the late October / early November of last year (Zone 6, central NY). I know very little about gardening, so this is all new to me. The local garden supply assured me that it wasn't too late in the year to plant Day Lillies (Stellas), so I did. I didn't mulch in the fall, as I'd saved that for this spring.

Now that the weather's warmed up, I've seen neighbors plants come to life but mine haven't grown at all (they were cut to about an inch high when i bought them).

How do I know if they made it through the winter ok? When should I start to expect some life out of them?
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/13/2012 1:32 PM PST

Hi Mike and welcome! I am in Z7a and my stellas started popping up several weeks ago ~ of course, we are having an early spring due to a very mild winter. When I say they are popping, I mean just the tips of the leaves ~ they won't bloom for another month, I am guessing. What you may be seeing in your neighbors' yards could be daffodils (March flowers)~ they bloom much earlier than daylilies. As far as stellas go, they are the easiest and most no-care thing you can plant. I would find it very hard to believe that they are dead. Planting them in Oct-Nov in your zone should have been just right. I don't believe you can kill these things, but they may be a tad slow to come up because it is their first year and they need to get established in the spot you chose.
Keep us posted and ask any questions you want to. I have daylilies that need dividing, but just haven't gotten to it yet. My pal owns a daylily farm so I have every color in creation!
Again ~ welcome to GG!!
Mike18
Posted: Mar/13/2012 4:16 PM PST

Good to know that there's almost no possible way for me to have messed it up. I'll try to be more patient.

Thanks for the info.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Mar/14/2012 6:06 AM PST

You are very welcome (and patience isn't my strong suit, either).
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Mar/14/2012 7:58 PM PST

Patients are something Doctors have. NOT Gardeners. LOL
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account