Page 1 of 1[1]

Hummingbird flushed from his nest

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 2:53 AM PST

Our next door neighbors brought this little baby hummingbird to me after a violent thunderstorm came through our neighborhood. We were without power for 4 days and it was very cold.

I tried everything I knew to do to keep him warm and fed but sadly he did not make it. They brought him to me because of a story my oldest told them of a red-shouldered hawk I rescued once and took the the local shelter. It had been hit by a car, right in front of me and it's wing was broke. It wasn't dead. So the oldest and I, wrapped it in a blanket and took it to the local shelter. The neighbors parlayed that story into "she can save the hummingbird"!!!

It was a wet, sad little sight when we got it. We broke up one of those hand warmers and put it underneath a dish towel. I had to hold it up to the feeder so it could it. It was so hungry, it would bury it's little head, as far as it's beak would go, down into the feeder hole.

The day that it died, I took it outside...put it on a branch of the rose of sharon tree next to the big feeder, but it wouldn't fly away. It was still drizzly rain, cold and the poor thing had either a foot deformity or had broken a toe in it's fall from it's nest. We noticed that while it could grip one of the twigs we had put in the cage we had for it, it could not grasp said twig when ever it tried to fly from one twig to another.

I have more pictures of you would like to see them. This was just the best one.

Irewynn

Attachments:

witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 4:00 AM PST

It's a shame that the poor little thing didn't make it.

One of my girlfriends just got her certificate in animal rescue. I'll have to pass this story along to her.
frogmanjared blog photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 5:22 AM PST

That's too bad. It sounds like you took great care of it. Unfortunately, hummers are not very tolerant of stress, startling too much, even holding one could cause it to die. It could have also over-exerted itself to compensate for it's injuries. There was probably nothing you could do, except make it comfortable for it's last moments.
xinqi blog photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 9:04 PM PST

It is really sad to see that the lovely bird was dead.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account