Page 1 of 1[1]

I got started on my garden today. New to this and very excited!!!

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/18/2012 7:29 PM PST

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie to gardening, just started last year.

I had 3 goals for the weekend. 1) start my cobalt blue memorial garden 2) plant the cabbage, garlic, English peas and collards and lastly because I was unexpectedly blessed with them 3) plant the 3 little pots of root bound herbs I was given.

I have 3 days off this weekend, but today was supposed to rain all day. When I got up this morning, I checked the weather 1st thing, saw the rain was a good 4-5 hours off and so I managed to get the bottle garden started, plant the herbs and the English peas!!

I love my memorial garden already. I had a beloved pet to die a year ago this month and I wanted to do something to honor him. It will fit right in with the shabby chic look of the rest of my gardens.

I can't wait until the cinder block garden is fully planted. I put all the cilantro (and the 2 little pots divided up into 12 small plants) into the upturned holes of some of the cinder block that border one of the beds. I used on old spring from a baby bed, leaned it against one of the landscape timbers we are using as a fencepost, for my English pea trellis. As the peas leaf out I will be able to grow a few heads of leaf lettuce in their shade.

Hopefully in the next 2 days it will stop raining long enough for me to dash out there and finish planting!!!

Attachments:

Betts blog photos
Posted: Feb/18/2012 10:36 PM PST

Wow! I think you got a good start on your garden...could you send some of that rain our way, lol.

What is your zone? Looks like you may be ahead of the game starting so early.

Welcome to G.G.
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/19/2012 1:32 AM PST

I'm in zone 7b. We had a freak weather front come through last weekend and we had three days when it went below the 25 degree mark.

I would have planted last weekend if not for that. I planted tulips in the bottle garden and they truthfully should have been in the garden a while back. I spoke with the lady at the small little nursery that I frequent and she said because I've had them in the fridge all this time that they should be alright. I look at it this way...If they make it....great....if they don't....I'm out $10.

That's what I love about gardening. The seeds/plants themselves are inexpensive, at least for my small garden area, so experiment!!! Last year when I bought that black-eyed fuschia on the way home from jury duty, I didn't know that she was one of those plants everyone says is hard to raise. But I got her through her season. She was beautiful. I didn't get her through until the spring, sadly. But again, it was just $15 and I felt I got my money's worth.

Sorry to be so long. Thanks for replying!!

Irewynn
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/19/2012 1:43 PM PST

Sure would like to know where you live.
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 1:39 AM PST

Central Alabama.

That drizzly rain lasted all day today,so I didn't get anything else done.My kids (my birth son, plus one on my "adopted" sons, long story) seem to have shared their cold with me.

I have the day off tomorrow. The ground is nice and wet, it's supposed to get up to 71 degrees tomorrow, so I am going to plant plant the my collards and cabbage in the morning. Let the moisture and the heat of the day do their thing!!

Happy gardening!!

Irewynn
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 1:44 AM PST

Thanks! That's great! We'll be looking forward to a picture!
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 1:50 AM PST

Do you by any chance have any idea how far apart I should plant my cabbage and my collards since they are in same family? I plan on planting a row of marigolds between them.

I have a cinder block terraced type garden. Two squared off spaced left. I could put them each on their own space if needed. Thanks for your advice.

Irewynn
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 2:01 AM PST

I'd plant the cabbages 24 inches apart and the collards 8-10. I hope this helps.
Irewynn photos
Posted: Feb/20/2012 2:10 AM PST

Witt,

I'm only planting one row of each, I'm doing a small garden. What I meant was, how far apart should I plant each row of the collards and the cabbages.

Sorry for not being very clear!!! I am going to try and take pictures of my little gardening space tomorrow and post it. I'm just kind of embarrassed. It's nothing like all the pretty ones I've been drooling over.

We just have a small piece of family land that we just moved back to about 3 years ago. We are slowly trying to reclaim it. Parts of it haven't been worked in 8 years and the rest....never!!! It has been a lot of back-breaking, sweaty labor. But, you know what, I'm really starting to love it...blisters and all.

Irewynn
witt blog photos
Posted: Feb/21/2012 1:48 AM PST

I would plant the rows at least 2 feet apart. Maybe even a bit more. You want to be able to harvest!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account