Page 1 of 1[1]

Help with lawn in North Texas.

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
k9ricci
Posted: Oct/09/2011 3:38 PM PST

Hello all and thanks for listening!
I have moved in to a new home and my lawn is a wreck. It is supposed to be Bermuda grass but is 65 to 70% weeds. I have tried spraying Spectracide and other products to clear some of the weeds but to no avail. I am now convinced I need to try an new approach and reseed. I do not own the home so pulling the the whole yard and starting over is not an option to me financially. Can anyone help me by telling me where to start? Do I use weed and feed this fall and then re seed in the spring or do I do I need to seed now and fertilize in the spring? I am all ears so thanks for helping.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Oct/09/2011 10:29 PM PST

I think they mention something about that in the monthly calendar pick the month read the suggested things to do. It is for North East Texas area.
I live outside of Tyler Tx.

http://easttexasgardening.tamu.edu/homegardens/Mon thly/calendar.html

scratch that because it will take you to the other page which you can prob find the calendar link at but just google east texas garden calendar
and click the first one on that list.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Oct/09/2011 10:34 PM PST

September they said do this:

Folks will want to pay attention to lawn care this month. The hot, dry weather could encourage chinch bugs which can turn St. Augustine into what looks like a drought-stricken lawn.

September is also the time to apply lawn fertilizer to keep the grass healthy and growing up to first frost. Fall fertilized lawns are better equipped to make it through the winter and resume growth next spring than lawns that receive no fertilizer.

Did you have weeds last spring before the grass started growing? These would have been cool-season weeds which germinated last fall. A pre-emergence herbicide (weed preventer) applied this month will help reduce the recurrence of the same weeds next spring (unless they are perennials like dandelions).

Avoid pre-emergent herbicide applications on newly planted, or weakened grass or in dense shade. Carefully follow label rates of application, since applying more than is called for can damage your lawn.

Lawns that suffered dieback from drought, chinch bugs or disease can be safely sodded in September. It's too late to try to establish Bermuda or Centipede from seed, but ryegrass and tall fescue can be sown toward the end of the month.

Fall is also a good time to test your soil, especially to determine the pH which tells you the acidity of the soil. Strongly acidic soils are corrected with an application of lime. Keep in mind that it takes a few months for the lime to react with your soil, and that you may need to reapply lime every few years.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account