Page 1 of 1[1]

butterfly bush in container??

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
tiggy photos
Posted: Jun/01/2011 6:48 PM PST

Can you grow a butterfly bush in a container??? I was given a few starters and only have one left, the dogs dug up the other two. The one I have is in a very shady spot, I thought it would get more sunlight. It has grown but not much. I have a very large pot I could use and was thinking maybe next year I could find a place in the ground. I have so much shade here, I thought certain parts would get more sun than they are so I'm having to do some digging. I'm going to make an area in the sunny part and place some pots. I thought I could maybe bring in in the garage over the winter if it gets too cold. Winters are not usually a problem here but last time we had that freak ice storm. In Texas we all stay home if any snow or sleet comes our way. lol
witt blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2011 2:31 AM PST

I don't know how long a butterfly bush would survive in a pot unless it was a dwarf variety. Their roots spread way out. Cold doesn't bother them, but in a pot, that might not work. Maybe you can get one started to get it large enough to plant so that the dogs won't dig it up. I had one to literally blow out of the ground during a storm. I just stuck it back and it's doing fine. They are pretty tough. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Oh, and I haven't listened to the weather news yet. I can't believe you had an ice storm. It was in the high 90's here in SC yesterday!
USAhockeyGirl blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2011 5:52 AM PST

How quickly do these grow? I received four of these last week. Pink, Purple, Red and a White. I was wondering the same thing if they could be container planted for a season until next spring?
Betts blog photos
Posted: Jun/02/2011 8:40 AM PST

Our bonsai member would be the one to ask.

I've kept some of my large plants in pots, but have to pull them out now and then to trim the roots, plus refresh the soil. I've had a lion's tail in a pot for several years.

It can be done, I've seen all types of bushes and dwarf trees bonsai, it it breath taking, especially when they are in bloom.

That's my guess, keep us posted.

Wishing you well (^_~)
tiggy photos
Posted: Jun/02/2011 12:17 PM PST

our ice storm was back in feb. it ruined the superbowl for a lot of people. lol. no ice now, in the 90's and will only get hotter.

i'm going to put it in a huge pot and see what happens. I'll get some kind of cheap fencing for where I want it and maybe the dogs will leave it be. Tigger only digs if someone else starts it. But now we have a lab puppy and I've seen her trying too. There may be a few places in the front along the fence I could put it. I really wanted it in the back though. The plant the starters came off of is huge so I think this one will be big. The pot I'm going to use is about 3ft wide and 3 ft deep.

I also need to relocate some moonflower. It's taking over the rose bushes. And I need to dig up the elephant ears, they are toxic to dogs. Mine have shown no interest since they were already here. But I might as well move them before they really start taking off.
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/02/2011 6:10 PM PST

In Texas you might be able to get away with it for one season but not in Wisconsin. Pots freeze harder then the ground and butterfly bushes are to sensitive to winter over in those conditions. Even in Iowa (zone 5) I have lost 5 butterfly bushes in the ground to winter kill. I finally gave up.
tiggy photos
Posted: Jun/04/2011 7:26 AM PST

the one i have were given to me from another plant. the owner was surprised they lived over the winter with such bad weather. it was the only winter in my life i can remember actually being that cold. lol
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Jun/04/2011 8:55 AM PST

In Texas they should have no problem surviving the winter. Most are rated to survive up to zone 5 and we can get to -10 in the winter.
tiggy photos
Posted: Jun/06/2011 5:09 PM PST

it doesn't matter anymore. lol. i moved it and a tomato plant to the back porch in giant pots. the dogs took them out!!! my fault i guess, i should have known even with pots that big my dogs could reach. oh well, no big deal. i'll just move the pots and put something else in them.
bsmitch blog photos
Posted: Oct/19/2011 7:17 PM PST

Got another spammer.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account