Page 1 of 1[1]

full afternoon sun, morning shade

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
daffodil_lover photos
Posted: May/03/2011 5:45 PM PST

So, I'm trying to find some perennials that I can put in the garden in front of my house which faces due west. I have bulbs that do great in the spring (daffodils and tulips), and one wild rose that is thriving. But after that, there's nothing!

Last fall, I planted some Asiatic lilies and a couple have started to come up, but I don't know what color they will be (got them from a friend's fundraiser, not expecting anything spectacular).

My house is white. When we moved in there were some white iris there, but they didn't come up at all this year.

While I'm tempted to just give up and plant a half dozen roses, I'd rather have something that I can't hurt myself on...

I really wanted some bright colors, but everything I really want is going to have to go in the back where it's shade most of the day. Any suggestions?
witt blog photos
Posted: May/04/2011 1:46 AM PST

Perhaps daylilies, which could take the sun, but they take up a lot of room or Stella D'oro lilies would give you summer flowers and are smaller.
told2b blog photos
Posted: May/04/2011 10:10 AM PST

Blue Fescue Grass -- Blue -- 8 to 12"
Rudbeckia -- Yellow -- 2 to 3'
Coreopsis -- Yellow -- 20 to 24"
Stella de Oro -- Yellow -- 18"
Coneflower -- Purple -- 3 to 4'
Peony -- Red/Pink -- 2 to 3'
Salvia(Purple Rain)-- Purple -- 12 to 18"
Autumn Joy -- Pink -- 12 to 18"
Shasta Daisy (Silver Princess)-- White -- 12 to 15"
Siberian Iris -- Purple -- 24 to 30"
Sweet William (Dianthus)-- Assorted -- 10 to 12"
daffodil_lover photos
Posted: May/04/2011 4:40 PM PST

Oh wow! Thanks! I have a lot of searching to do!
n2gzs photos
Posted: May/26/2011 10:18 AM PST

My flower garden gets full sun up till around 3:00-4:00. It's beginning to get too full. I have purple coneflower, black-eyed susan, knockout roses, Veronica, vinca, brugmansia, passion flower, shasta daisy, salvia (purple rain, bearded iris (purple), mums,Eupatorium colestinum(blue mistflower), and beauty berry.

Oh yeah, also blue salvia, pineapple sage, confederate jasmine, dahlia, amarylis, hydrangea, and you gotta get a butterfly bush.
daffodil_lover photos
Posted: Jun/25/2011 8:52 PM PST

I got some beautiful lilies at our local greenhouse during their weekend sale. I can't wait to get some good pictures of some of them. Here's just the peach one:

Attachments:

Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account