Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

North Texas East-Facing Balcony Garden

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
dallasgirl80 blog photos
Posted: Apr/06/2011 3:28 PM PST

Hello! I just started gardening this year and could use some advice. I have a east-facing covered second story balcony that gets great morning sun. I've tentatively started some cherry tomatoes, patio totatoes, and jalapenos in the sunniest part. I'm also growing loose leaf lettuce, arugula, thyme, scallions, beets, peas, and green beans.

Right now, the weather in Dallas is really nice (60-80's) and everyone seems pretty happy on my balcony. I was thinking about adding some window boxes and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Also, I know its going to get really really hot (90-100s) in the summer and was wondering if anyone has had any luck continuing to grow veggies and herbs in that kind of heat. For instance, do you think I'll get a longer growing season in the middle of the summer with the east-facing garden (rather than a south or west facing one?)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Attachments:

GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Apr/07/2011 5:36 AM PST

You better be glad you got those bars on that deck or your neighbors would have some fried green tomatoes. Those pepper plants also look great. Those plants are getting enough sun looking at the color of the plants their not pale and leggy(looking for sun light). You just have to try and learn "Thats gardening" Your doing a Good Job. GT
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Apr/07/2011 10:58 AM PST

Most vegetables require 6-8 hours of sun for optimum results. Beans & greens can get by with a little less. Usually by mid-summer, most vegetables in my zone are done except for okra, eggplant & field peas. I'm not sure about your zone. Keep the water regular, and just try it out!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account