Page 1 of 1[1]

Looking for Cacti suggestions.

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
USAhockeyGirl blog photos
Posted: Sep/13/2010 3:50 PM PST

My 16 year old son asked me if I could get some plants for his bedroom. I'm all set on your standard houseplants but I asked him if he would be interested in any types of cactus. He loved the idea. I've have never in my life grown, planted or cared for cactus. He has an east facing big window in his room that lets in a lot of light. If I need to add a fluorescent in the room, that certainly can be done if needed. Could someone suggest some good plants and a good website to do some reading up on? To be frank, I will be the one overseeing the care in the beginning until I can tell him how to take care of them. He's a pretty cool kid!
Posted: Sep/28/2010 5:06 AM PST

Darn, was hoping for a few suggestions. I'm going to be winging this one. I am thinking of going with larger spine plants. Those little needles look kind of dangerous if one were to fall over.
Betts blog photos
Posted: Oct/02/2010 5:23 PM PST

Just saw this one...cactus may or may not be the answer...check out some Euphorbia, dyckias, aloes, crown of thorns and maybe bromeliads. There are some pretty spiky looking succulents out there. They can handle less sun than cactus and they are just as easy to grow..your only worry would be mealy bug and overwatering.

Attachments:

Posted: Oct/09/2010 5:56 AM PST

Thanks Betts. Good Ideas What is the 1st Photo? It's gorgeous.
Betts blog photos
Posted: Nov/27/2010 1:18 PM PST

Hi...just got back to checking out the forums. The top one belongs to the Euphorbia family...the Poinsettia has a lot of 'cousins' out there. Just Google it and then go to images...it is amazing!!
palmsarepretty blog photos
Posted: May/01/2011 3:53 PM PST

Golden barrel would be good but precautions are nessesary.They are golden from their thorns and are very fat.
CountryKitty
Posted: Sep/20/2013 10:15 AM PST

Waaaay late to the conversation, been gone awhile. Not all cactus spines are sharp. Check out Old man cactus (long hairlike spines that cover the plant) or brain cactus (ultra short spines that lay fairly flat and aren't prickly--plant is shaped like a brain), or mammilaria plumose (small, with almost feather shaped spines that curl back on the plant). There are quite a few others out there.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account