agave parryi (california cabbage)

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
bugnut blog photos
Posted: Oct/15/2010 3:02 AM PST

Wow, Rashell, those blooms are beautiful. It's amazing how they just protrude from the stalk, if that is what it is called.
The only cactus we have around here is the prickly pear, but the blooms on them are quite nice..........John
Lark photos
Posted: Nov/01/2010 4:23 PM PST

Rashell and Betts...Your plants are sooooooooooooo pretty.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Nov/20/2010 12:00 PM PST

thank you! i did miss two more blooms, not sure if i've said this already but i wish they would bloom at a time when we could see them.

john i see 3 or 4 different color flowers (on the net) for prickly pear. what color is yours? all the ones i saw are beautiful.
Betts blog photos
Posted: Nov/26/2010 10:56 PM PST

Hi! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this forum. Glad my pics helped.. as for your pups...keep in mind they're going to get as large as the parent plant...so spread them out. Hope someone else suggested the same before you had to plant them.

I have the prickly pear that has the yellow flowers with a little red/orange in the center...these came from Rick's grandparents farm in Arkansas. This one is edible, the pads shouldn't be too large. You scrape off the spines, dice them and boil them until just tender. I always liked them with scramble eggs in a flour tortilla. Most folks eat the fruits.

Your pictures turned out great...glad you got to see them open (-_^)

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Nov/27/2010 6:53 PM PST

yours is a beauty Betts
Betts blog photos
Posted: Nov/28/2010 8:05 AM PST

Thanks I love taking pics of my plants when they bloom. I really have enjoyed seeing your progress on your lot, have you gotten any heavy frost or snow? How are your cactus holding up, well I hope. Have a great week! (-_^)
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Dec/19/2010 11:54 PM PST

No snow but the cold and wind killed some of my plants. Cactus are okay for now, will update once winter is over

first year we moved in it snowed a lot nothing happened to my plants. i can't believe the cold is killing them now. so weird!
Betts blog photos
Posted: Jan/22/2011 9:40 AM PST

Yeah, it's heart breaking...I think since cactus and succulents hold water in their leaves, the cold freezes them and then they get mushy...I have a heck of time keeping my prickly pear from that. This spring I'll have to take the healthy leaves and plant them. This re-plant is from Rick's grandparent's farm and need to keep them going.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Mar/14/2011 7:31 PM PST

i'll have to get rid of some cause of snow/cold. they are dead.
Betts blog photos
Posted: Mar/16/2011 8:37 PM PST

Oh no...that's a real shame. Really sorry about that...how close are you to Los Angeles...have you been to the California Cactus Nursery in Pasadena? I wish I could have brought them all back here, lol.

Wishing you well
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account