agave parryi (california cabbage)

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/25/2010 1:27 PM PST

bugnut we started from scratch, the only thing growing on our property when we moved in was a pine tree (we got rid of it 'cause it was growing too close to the house) & the 3 Joshua trees. Everything else was dirt dirt and more dirt

The planter near the house is pretty much done. Most all the plants will grow tall and wide. They will hopefully cover the dirt. I'll have to transplant a couple plants 'cause it is too hot out front for them but done with it.

I do want to fill up the slopes with plants but not sure what I'll do yet. I'm terrible at picking out stuff so it takes a long time for me to finally decide. This will be a big project once it is decided what we want there. the slope goes as far as the side of the house.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/25/2010 1:30 PM PST

u know i think that is the pic i saw on the net too. the little ones don't look like they are growing from the Parryi. I can't tell though.
bugnut blog photos
Posted: Aug/26/2010 5:35 AM PST

Rashell, did you see the picture of the Agave parryi (artichoke agave)? It has red edges, and it looks pretty cool also, and gets about as big as the cabbage........John

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/26/2010 4:47 PM PST

The leaves on the Agave parryi (artichoke agave) has the same diamond cut look as the "cabbage"...could be the same plant!

PS. i'll take a close up shot of the leaf today.

EDIT: ooops, missed the "red" edges part. not the same plant sorry.

when i did my searching I looked up agave parryi so most likely i did see your pic. john.
witt blog photos
Posted: Aug/27/2010 1:44 AM PST

Good Golly Miss Molly!! Spectacular!!
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/27/2010 11:34 AM PST

Thanks!
Betts blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2010 5:30 PM PST

Hi...the taller cactus is a Hylocereus...they can get really tall and the flowers are beautiful, fragrant and bloom during the night. Mine came from a garden in Menlo Park, CA...just down the street from the Sunset Magazine garden. My Cereus belonged to the grandmother of a boyfriend of one of our girls...we're all still buddies. You will be really happy with it..the other is an Agave...I have one in the pot...our lot is way too small to have it in ground. I'm including pics of the Hylocereus in bloom....I'm use to staying up late at night when my night bloomers open...enjoy. (-_^)

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2010 6:15 PM PST

OMGoodness i'm so happy you uploaded those pics! Now i know what my blooms will look like! What a beauty, all your plants are.

i took this pic. yesterday, either mine bloomed and i missed it or they died before blooming. Again, so happy i saw yours.

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Sep/13/2010 12:05 PM PST

need advice please

my yucca has a lot of babes, i want to transplant them. question: would the yucca look nice if i plant one near, behind or between each cactus? or would it look kind of boring? OR maybe i could spread the babies all over the boring slope (for starter plant).

I know i shouldn't ask here but since the other pics. are here I thought it would be the best place to ask.

Pic of the yucc, hopefully u can see the babies (dark green color) ...they are suffocating the mom, she is turning yellow!

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Oct/14/2010 10:10 PM PST

Look what I saw last night! I think another will bloom tonight or tomorrow.

Day pics first, then night pics (bloom)! couldn't decide which pic of the flower to post so I uploaded the three.

Attachments:

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account