Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

what's wrong with my mini rose bush?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
rosyshawn
Posted: Aug/15/2010 5:14 PM PST

I have a mini rose bush bought from a florist that I have transplanted and is now growing and making new blossoms. However, the tips of many of the leaves are turning brown and drying up (see photos). It doesn't spread up the entire leaf, however. I've been watering it, but it is on our covered front porch and has been very hot this summer, most days in the 90's with heat indexes in the 100's sometimes. Is this just a heat issue? I'm completely new to rose care but want to learn how to grow all kinds. Besides watering and feeding once a week or so with miracle grow rose food, as well as spraying with Sevin liquid, what else should I be doing? Thanks so much!

Attachments:

jlwe blog photos
Posted: Aug/16/2010 2:36 PM PST

Which type Miracle-Gro are you using Water Soluble or Continuous Release?
TheGreatGardener
Posted: Aug/22/2010 3:29 AM PST

Hey it looks like it is getting dried up
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: Aug/22/2010 5:53 PM PST

your over fertilizing cut it back to once a month
jlwe blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2010 4:50 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by sassmuffin
your over fertilizing cut it back to once a month

That's pretty much what I thought but they never came back to the post yet
rosyshawn
Posted: Aug/28/2010 6:26 PM PST

Sorry, guys...I thought I would get an email telling me someone had responded. Thanks for all the responses. I'm using the Miracle Grow for roses. I will cut back to once a month. In the meantime, It's losing leaves faster than it's making new ones lately, and now it's getting very tiny silverish dots all over the leaves...not like a mold, like it's coming from the inside of the leaves or like something was sprayed on it. Sevin shouldn't do that should it? The first time I used it it didn't. It seems to have started after it sat in the rain one day and got quite wet. Could that be the problem?

I've always heard roses were very temperamental and hard to grow. This sure seems to be the case for this little plant.

Another question, if you please: Should I keep it in full sun, or is my covered porch outside ok?
rosyshawn
Posted: Aug/28/2010 6:27 PM PST

jlwe, I'm using the water soluble kind of Miracle Grow. Is this good or not?
USAhockeyGirl blog photos
Posted: Aug/28/2010 7:55 PM PST

Miracle grow is fine once a month. jlwe helped me a ton with my mini rose. There is a post a couple down from this one titled Little Rose in need of help. You should find the info you need. if you plant is getting eaten like mine was, I gave mine a bath in the sink to start and washed off with water the leaves and stems. I would put it outside during the day and brought it in at night. That solved the getting eaten problem in a hurry. It took a while for the leaves to come back but it is much healthier now. jwle will probably tell you what you need to know more. I'm a newbie at the roses but am learning a lot from her.
jlwe blog photos
Posted: Aug/29/2010 7:36 AM PST

Thank you USA I agree Miracle Gro once a month "If Needed" too much will burn up your rose. Roses like sun and water. I do not have any container roses but I would assume care would be the same. I am not sure about the silver spot without seeing a photo. I know that some chemicals like sevin and others for bugs can cause effects to the leaves. I use a soap and water spray on my roses for bugs. Couple T dawn dish soap and water mixed in a spray bottle. Always spray and fertilize in the cool evenings as the sun goes down. If you have any other questions we can try and help. Try and get a photo if you can.
SadieG blog photos
Posted: Aug/29/2010 12:11 PM PST

I have a miniature rose bush that never did well in the pot. I decided to plant in the ground and it has thrived. It gets full of roses every year and I don't have to do a thing to it. I did have to spray the leaves early in the summer this year because of some kind of tiny bugs, but other than that it takes care of itself. Its in sun until around 2 in the afternoon and after that in shade.
I was getting ready to post some pictures of some current blooms when I saw this post.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account