Page 1 of 1[1]

Herbs all year inside?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Hethir photos
Posted: Jul/25/2010 8:22 PM PST

I hope this isn't a stupid question but can herbs grow all year if they are kept inside?
biyu
Posted: Jul/25/2010 11:27 PM PST

Technically I think you can but you need to watch conditions and stop flowers you'll prolly wanna start a new cutting from like mints and that to try to keep thinks lasting for like cillatro that will require re-seeding on occasion

What specifically were you thinking of trying?
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/26/2010 2:02 AM PST

Most herbs require lots of sunshine. Also a lot of herbs are annuals and need to be propagated every year, either by reseeding or cuttings. If you have lots of sunshine, you can probably keep a lot of herbs growing indoors in the winter.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Jul/26/2010 3:32 PM PST

im thinking acouple hundred watts of flourscent eco daylight bulbs coyuld cover the light requirements then something else for nessary warmpth (i have a 100 watt bulb like that only uses 23 watts of electricity but it IS a little more costly)

again which specific plants had you wanted to grow? the needs will to an extent depend on the plants you want
chrispaul97 blog photos
Posted: Jan/03/2011 5:43 AM PST

if you have a window or a couple of windows close together that get at least 6 - 8 hours of sun you can have herbs all year. This is the only place in my house that gets this much sun and I have basil, red thai basil and oregano sitting there. The oregano is almost 2 years old and one of the basil plants in almost a year old. Just keep pruning them and they will keep growing. If you are using them to cook then that is enough of the pruning that they will need. If you leave them alone for too long then they will start to flower and go to seed. At that point, you might as well just save the seed and replant.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account