Page 1 of 1[1]

Hope for hail damaged Zucchini and Cucumber?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
newfarmergirl photos
Posted: Jul/21/2010 3:34 PM PST

We just had a pretty good hail storm and I checked my zucchini and cucumber and the plants are pretty decimated. Can anything be done to salvage/help the plants?
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Jul/21/2010 7:03 PM PST

I guess it depends on how badly torn up they are. If the main stems are pretty much ok-they may survive. Especially the zuchinni-it kind of vines, and if the main stem is torn or severed, put dirt over that stem and it may form roots. Doesn't always work, but sometimes does.
newfarmergirl photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 4:34 AM PST

The main stems are actually pretty good. The big thing is that some of the larger leaves have their stems shredded as well as the leaves themselves. Should I just leave them or prune them off?

I only lost one zucchini fruit itself, the rest are ok so far, so if the plant survives I should have at least a few. Cukes don't have any female flowers yet, so we'll have to see.
lissalanae21 blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 5:12 AM PST

Zuchs can handel a good deal of pruning if the main stem is in good shape so dont worry to much if you need to prun back some leaves. When i get Squash vine borrers i somtimes have to prun 3/4 of the plant away to save it and they tend to just come back and do great. HTH
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 6:37 AM PST

One thing you do need, is enough foilage to protect your fruit from sunburn. Even if the leaves are dead, they are still protecting the fruit, somewhat. If your veggies aren't very big yet, you might want to leave some leaves to cover them until harevesting. I agree with Lisa, they're tough plants (until the vine borer gets them!)
newfarmergirl photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 7:06 PM PST

Thanks for all the advice!

I've checked the main stems and they seem to be all in good shape. As for the shredded vines and leaves, I trimmed the worst, making sure to keep some to shade my fruit.

Fingers crossed that we still get some vegetables after that storm!

Attachments:

Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account