Page 1 of 1[1]

How many hours should the grow light stay on?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
2createstuff blog photos
Posted: Mar/23/2010 11:44 AM PST

I have flats in front of window, but last year the seedlings grew sideways towards the window, so this year I hung a grow light over them. In reading other posts, I'm too high, so I will move it closer to the flats. But how many hours should I leave the light on?
KimJS
Posted: Mar/28/2010 10:22 AM PST

Hi, whenever my plants start to lean I turn the tray so they'll be forced to lean the other way, I think it makes them stronger.
As far as the lights I just turned mine on in the morning when I got up & off early in the evening so they'd get the approximate hours of sunlight they get now that I've moved them out to the cold frame.
Good Luck.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: Mar/29/2010 4:24 PM PST

i have a timer set fer 16 hours one of the things i learned from the aerogarden think i herd 14-16 was ideal? not 100% source mine goes on at 4a an itsa off now with light still outside i know theyll adapt to the time difference of beeing outside LOL like if you travel an i know theyll withstand everything just fine
2createstuff blog photos
Posted: Mar/30/2010 7:54 AM PST

Thank you for the replies. I had the same thoughts but it makes me feel better to receive confirmation that I'm on the right track!
DaylilyMe
Posted: Jan/19/2011 10:15 AM PST

I've start approximately 1000 daylilies every year from seed in my basement under regular florescent lighting for over 6 years now. The second year I tried an experiment to see if the seedlings were actually benefiting from leaving the lights on 24 hours a day. I left half of my seedlings in a room that I turned the lights off at about 7 pm and turned them back on about 8 am and the other half in a room that I left the lights on 24 hours a day. There was no difference whatsover in the two groups of plants. It was almost as if the plants knew it was time to go to sleep.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account