Page 1 of 2[12 Last

convenience store food

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
aimee blog photos
Posted: Dec/02/2009 6:34 PM PST

I'm writing an article about convenience store food, which seems to be different all over the country.

In Hawaii, they have spam sushi by the cash registers. No kidding.

In West Virginia, pepperoni rolls.

In Wisconsin, cheese curds and landjager.

Memphis, fried dill pickles and deep fried corn on the cob.

New Orleans, hot homeade po'boys and boiled peanuts.

Indiana, fried chicken, chicken livers, and tater logs.

What do convenience stores sell where you're from?
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Dec/02/2009 7:09 PM PST

Here in Southwest Louisiana it's Boudin, cracklins, pizza.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Dec/18/2009 3:22 PM PST

I was looking forward to answers for this. Guess nobody has anything different to add. Or maybe, nobody goes into convenience stores!
damselfly blog photos
Posted: Dec/19/2009 6:06 AM PST

Hi Aimee,
I don't think it's lack of interest, mainly, people are just too busy with Xmas preps to log on! I know I am.
In Montreal you can get fresh made cappaccino or mochachino. I think that's cool!
Aside from the usual selction of sandwiches and wraps, you can get poutine, but I wouldn't dare try it. To be good, poutine has to be made with freshly made fresh fries, (none of you frozen stuff), fresh cheddar cheese curds and good hot chicken gravy.. not from powder please!
If I find a minute I will post the recipes from my Xmas menu. A lot of work, but really wonderful. Roast Goose (2), Cumberland sauce, 2 stuffings one wild rice the other the standard bread and giblet. Red cabbage and apples. For those who are hungry before the goose comes out of the oven, a tourtiere (meat pie). For dessert, plum pudding with rum and hard sauce and a fruit cake I make myself using the British Crosse & Blackwell mince-meat that has rum and brandy in it. I bake cookies too.. have one quick and easy recipe I will post along with the rest. Merry Christmas!
damselfly
aimee blog photos
Posted: Dec/19/2009 2:08 PM PST

Sounds delicious! I go home for Christmas and Mom makes the same yummy dinner she's been making for years - pineapple glazed ham, asparagus, hot german potato salad, sweet potatoes, and dressing.

I do hope more people answer this! I'm going to have to look up Poutine to see what it really is.

And I forgot Bierrocks in Minnesota - sort of reuben-in-a-pocket if I remember correctly.

I'm hoping to hear from some folks in California or the Southwest, too, because I've NO idea what they do there.
txrose blog photos
Posted: Dec/21/2009 2:19 PM PST

convenience store food~ I'm not sure what you are wanting here but if its what you can buy in the conveience store by region I guess?
We have crispy chicken rolls, breakfast pizzas, jalapeno sausage on a stick, you can usually get a fried burrito and don't leave without your Dr Pepper icee.
I live outside of Tyler Tx.
blink blog photos
Posted: Feb/12/2010 5:39 PM PST

We have a lot of places that do pizza or tacos (obviously) and sandwiches... depending on the side of town you are on you are also going to run into my gyros, fried chicken, and all other kinds of ethic foods...

I live in Dallas so we have all kinds of people! When I lived in Arlington, TX there was a lot of Asian food (I loved the tofu places!)

Attachments:

damethod blog photos
Posted: Feb/19/2010 11:58 AM PST

Here in Miami, FL.. there are mainly latin treats. Dulce de leche creams, Coconut creams, Nutella, and many many others that I can't remember the names of right now. Some places have small refridgerators with mini cuban sandwiches and pastries as well.

In essence, bite-sized treats that are under $1, but will raise your blood sugar 300%.

Other than that, you'll find the same food that you find in convenience stores across the country. Microwaveable sandwiches, burritos, pizzas, hot pockets, etc.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Feb/19/2010 12:27 PM PST

Sorry to take this thread a bit off the subject, but I wanted to share an experience at a convenience store in Europe and some pics from my recent honeymoon. We stayed in Barcelona for a few days and from there took a cruise to Italy, France, and then back to Barcelona.

In Barcelona, we were shocked when we walked into a gas station and saw hardcore p-o-r-n-o dvds on display right by the cash register for everyone to see. It was kind of like the spinning post card displays you see here, but with p-o-r-n-o movies. The dvd covers did not block any body parts either! I wrote p-o-r-n-o because for some reason this site blocks the word #@!$o.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they also sell adult dvds outside of the Vatican!!

Attachments:

fairygarden blog photos
Posted: Feb/21/2010 5:13 AM PST

HEre in SC, we usually have fried chicken, fries, hot dogs. In the summer, boiled peanuts.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account