Page 1 of 1[1]

Can lantana be perennial?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/11/2009 8:07 AM PST

In Zone 6B? My neighbor across the road has one of the orange-red-yellow variegated types and it comes back from the root every year. It presents as a shrub and gets almost 6' tall and equally as wide. He has it up against the brick of his house, southwestern exposure. I want to try to get mine to do this ~ it's in a pot right now, same flowers as his. He offered to have me take a cutting, but not sure if that will make a difference .... what say you?
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Sep/11/2009 8:40 AM PST

I would say if he can do it, so can you. Lantana is perennial here in our very southern zone-it comes up wild on the sides of the road. Do as he has-southern exposure, south (protected)side of the house. I would think it would work!
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/11/2009 9:59 AM PST

Thanks for the vote of confidence, CC! I guess I will do just exactly as you say and see what happens. Beats throwing it in the compost heap after first freeze!
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Sep/11/2009 8:23 PM PST

For me no but for you possibly. I know down south they are but I am not sure how far south.
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: Sep/12/2009 8:54 AM PST

OK ~ I took the lantana out of its pot and planted it next to the back door ~ geographically the EXACT same location as my neighbor's spot. I thought I had better do this now to give it time to set in before winter. With any luck, we have a good 6-8 weeks of decent weather yet. And I am going to mulch the daylights out of it before winter too.
Boy, if his lives and mine doesn't, there's gonna be words .......
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Sep/22/2009 10:33 AM PST

...or go steal his in the dark of night. Just kidding.

Oh my! I didn't know they'd get that big! I have one on a pot I overwintered in my basement that looked like a dead stick and it's got flowers on it now. Maybe since you're in a much warmer climate you'll have the same luck as your neighbor. His was a transplant so maybe yours will be just as healthy.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account