Page 1 of 1[1]

Moss in the winter

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
onionhead
Posted: Sep/10/2009 10:10 AM PST

I am trying to get the moss to spread in my front yard around my stepping stones. I have worked hard to get it established and I am wondering what happens to the moss in the winter.
Do I need to give it some sort of special care? Will it die forcing me to start from scratch next year?
The only thing I am sure of is that I have to keep the fall leaves off of it.
I am zone 6a.
witt blog photos
Posted: Sep/10/2009 12:47 PM PST

Nothing seems to bother my moss in the winter other than it getting scratched up by a rake. It does turn a bit brown, but a couple of warmish days seems to green it right back up.
onionhead
Posted: Sep/11/2009 4:33 AM PST

Thanks! I was planning to transplant some from the backyard to the front but didn't want to go through all that if it was just going to die soon.
Quintus_Twig blog photos
Posted: Feb/06/2010 2:28 PM PST

Moss doesn't season like other plants. Could you send me a picture of the moss? It would help me to see what kind you have. Here's a brief explanation of moss growth and difficulties.
Moss cannot survive without water. When terrestrial plants (including what we now call "aquatic" plants) evolved, they had to modify their life cycle and reproductive method. The ancestors to plants fertilized by releasing sperm into the surrounding water. Around 500 million years ago, some plants (ancestors of angiosperms and gymnosperms) started encasing sperm in pollen, so that it could be released into the air without dying from dehydration. Mosses, however, did not develop pollen. They can only reproduce in damp spots because their sperm will only survive and fertilize ova (eggs) in water. I hope that helps.
Quintus_Twig blog photos
Posted: Feb/06/2010 2:31 PM PST

I just had a thought. What direction does that side of your house face? Also, what material are the steps made of?
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account