Page 1 of 1[1]

how do I make my pickled peppers crispy?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
shawnstavish
Posted: Sep/04/2009 4:50 AM PST

This is my first time pickling. I've tried pickling banana and jalapenos pepper and they both came out mushy. How do I make crisp like you find on a salad bar? I first made the brine and poured it over the peppers, then sealed the jars and then boiled them for 20 minutes like the recipe i used called for.

Thank you,
shawn
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Sep/04/2009 11:14 AM PST

You can add a small amount of Calcium Chloride (formerly known as "Pickle Crisp") to each jar and you can also keep the peppers on ice for a couple hours before they go into the jars. Both methods help to hold the cell structure together during the heating process.

I doubt if your salad bar place is dealing with a canned variety, but rather a refrigerated version. Just like pickles, refrigerated varieties are much crisper than cooked/canned varieties.

Food grade Calcium Chloride can be ordered online from such places as bulkfoods.com or locally if you search. It is used for a lot of different things so just make sure you are getting a food-grade variety. Information on the bulk foods website can also give you information on how much to add to each size jar.
shawnstavish
Posted: Sep/06/2009 3:53 PM PST

Thank you and how do you do a refrigated verison.

And thanks again.
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Sep/06/2009 8:36 PM PST

You might pick up a copy of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving which has some refrigerator pickle recipes. There are also recipes on the Internet and in other published pickling books, if you are inclined to try.

I must emphasize that the food experts are backing off on many refrigerator pickle recipes because of another type of bacteria problem -- Listeria. You really have to be careful. Since you are relatively new to the food preserving process, I would stick to the cooked and processed variety until your experience level increases.
Zana
Posted: Sep/20/2009 2:53 PM PST

I find a hot pack method works better at keeping the cukes or peppers crisp when pickling....actually pretty much anything I pickle stays crisper if I do a hot pack. I only do a water bath processing if the lids don't pop/seal after about 1/2 hour to an hour with the hot pack.
Canned_Nerd photos
Posted: Sep/21/2009 9:19 PM PST

What is your procedure for a "hot pack"? By your statement it is not canning.
Zana
Posted: Sep/21/2009 9:36 PM PST

Stuff your jars with the contents intended. Mix brine solution and then bring to a vigourous boil. Turn down the heat to a medium-high and pour it into the jars over the contents. Seal immediately. Lids will suck down and seal as they cool. If they don't then process them in a hot water bath.

In the past, on major pickling marathons, we did as many as 250 litre/quart jars in a day. Using this method we probably had to process less than 5% of all the jars. Usually less than a dozen. We had one year where we did over 300 and only processed 8. The rest sealed on their own. All seals stayed sealed and all food was good when opened.....and crisp.

If you check the ball book or the bernadin (sp?) or google online, hot pack method is listed.
julesq
Posted: Sep/30/2013 9:52 AM PST

Don't use the Hot Pack method for crisp peppers. I used this just this year and they still came out mushy.
londonclearance blog
Posted: Oct/02/2013 11:30 PM PST

soaking and rinsing peppers in alum.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account