Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Dwarf fruit trees

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
riredwolf blog
Posted: Aug/22/2009 5:33 AM PST

Hello,

Ok so here is my first (of many I don't doubt) fact finding missions. Although I am no where near planting anything ( I have a great deal of de-jungelising to do first), I do have to buget, and to do so, it would be nice to have some idea of what works best, rather than trust the blurb found of commercial sites (some of which I really wonder about).

So I am in zone 6. RI gets some pretty hard winter seasons ( and some not so hard, but we always get snow and frost) and at least one month of good heat. The rest of the year is a mixed batch of temps.

In the way of dwarfs, I am thinking: Apple, Pear, Plum as being the hardiest. I also play to container grow a lime or lemon tree in my back porch (I can drag it out in summer onto the deck).

What varities of Apple Pear Plum should I consider ? Should I be patient and get 1-2 year old trees or is there a justification for getting fast grow trees (like from Fast Grow Nurseries- no it's not a plug). Does root stock really make a big difference ?

Any advice more than welcome. I have no clue about growing fruit trees.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Aug/22/2009 12:11 PM PST

I'm in zone 8b but I think you should first find out how long your "frost" lasts. Look for fruit trees which could handle the frost hours (peach for example can handle 500 to 600 hours...at least mine can) in your area. Again I'm in zone 8 my citrus didn't do so great. See what fruit trees can handle your temps. before you decide on what you want to plant.

Hope you get tons of replies! Love chit chat about fruit trees.

PS. read all tags before you buy trees in your area too trust me. just because they sell plants/trees in your immediate area doesn't mean it will live there. I've learned this the hard way. Many sell plants/trees without a care in the world if it will live or not.
riredwolf blog
Posted: Aug/22/2009 3:28 PM PST

Rashell,

Yes, I kind of got that impression the other day while look around at one of our esteemed local garden centers . The fellow I talked to did not seem...well...green thumbed.

Likely as not I will scount around local nurseries and go on recomendation (maybe from other members here who might know of good reliable sources). I don't mind buying through catalog..if the seller has a good rep.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2009 3:32 PM PST

Rhode Island is zone 5-6 depending on what part of the state your in. I am not 100% sure, but a quick search combined with a little bit I know about fruits trees... also keep in mind that there are many different varieties of each fruit that are bred to grow in places other than the norm. There are varieties of apples that grow and fruit here in Miami, FL! Anyways, here's a little list that is no where near complete:

zone 5 fruit trees:
Cherries
Figs
Apples
Pears
Apricot
Nectarine

zone 6:
all of the above
Almonds
I believe most nut trees and olives as well!

Im sure there are many more. Try searching for your local agricultural site. UF has one, so try a local university site. They usually will have detailed information on what will grow in your area and how to care for it.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Aug/23/2009 3:35 PM PST

Oh!.. and your best bet for citrus is the Key Lime. It fruits all year round and will be happy in a pott. I have one in a 15gal pot that fruits well. However, I don't need to bring it in for the winter. The limes are small, but juicy and tart. They are the primary ingredient in the famous key lime pie.
riredwolf blog
Posted: Aug/24/2009 9:56 AM PST

Thank you so much for the info..never have enough..

I am starting to narrow down my choices (in order to budget).

What do you think of the following:

2 Dwarf Apple trees - Red Delicious - Granny Smith (nest to each other)

2 Dwarf Pear trees - Bartlett

2 Dwarf Plum trees - Snata Rosa - Burbank

Still not sure about Cherry ( Black Tartan - Bing)

Also in and out potted dwarfs( I have a enclosed back porch that gets a lot of light for the cold months):

1 Dwarf Verigated Lemon

1 Drawf Mexican Lime

I am also sorely tempted by a Blood Orange I saw in dwarf form.

Not sure about nut trees...I've been told they take many years to come to fruit. But I am looking into planting one or two grape vines (hardy ones like Concord). I have the a lot of fence (and could easily add an arbor...sitting on a swing picking grapes..hmmm yum )

Someone on another site refered me to a company caled Fast Grow. Do you happen to know it ? (anybody know of it )
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Sep/04/2009 10:20 PM PST

riredwolf did you decide yet?

Yummy grapes too! we bought a few vines a couple weeks back but haven't planted them yet!

EDIT: Yikes just checked my profile it has been longer than two week.
damethod blog photos
Posted: Sep/05/2009 2:44 PM PST

Sounds like a great list. Make sure you look into how to pollinate your trees. I've heard some apple and pear trees will not fruit without cross pollination. Try and get varieties that are self-pollinating.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by riredwolf
Thank you so much for the info..never have enough..

I am starting to narrow down my choices (in order to budget).

What do you think of the following:

2 Dwarf Apple trees - Red Delicious - Granny Smith (nest to each other)

2 Dwarf Pear trees - Bartlett

2 Dwarf Plum trees - Snata Rosa - Burbank

Still not sure about Cherry ( Black Tartan - Bing)

Also in and out potted dwarfs( I have a enclosed back porch that gets a lot of light for the cold months):

1 Dwarf Verigated Lemon

1 Drawf Mexican Lime

I am also sorely tempted by a Blood Orange I saw in dwarf form.

Not sure about nut trees...I've been told they take many years to come to fruit. But I am looking into planting one or two grape vines (hardy ones like Concord). I have the a lot of fence (and could easily add an arbor...sitting on a swing picking grapes..hmmm yum )

Someone on another site refered me to a company caled Fast Grow. Do you happen to know it ? (anybody know of it )
damethod blog photos
Posted: Sep/05/2009 2:45 PM PST

I forgot to mention that you should be able to grow Kiwi's as well.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Sep/05/2009 8:51 PM PST

so glad your back damethod! i grow fruit trees but not (yet) experienced enough to give advice.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account