Page 1 of 2[12 Last

"Roots" long story about garden & love

Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 5:13 AM PST

This is a story I wrote for our Churches Newsletter it's long sorry about that but I thought some of you may like it.

Shared Roots

It was at a Friday afternoon wedding. My niece was getting married. Yes, Sandy & Alex, from this day forward, that means one more Christmas present my wife can shop for (lucky girl). You might say they were getting ready to put down some roots together!

As Jake and I and the groom and his other Navy pilot friends awaited the afternoon wedding. the clouds started to mount in the sky and it started to sprinkle. From a garden wedding to a hall wedding. Here we go! While we were taking 140 chairs inside, Jake grabbed the swords laying on their soft cases on the grass: the Navy color guard’s swords. (Later they would use them to form the sword arch under which the bride and groom would ceremoniously pass.. There’s surely some long roots in that tradition, but I digress.) Jake was not wanting the swords to get wet, and with quick help from one of those airmen that job was easy. They weren’t about to get those dress whites dirty and come up missing a sword, too. (ha ha ).

It was about an hour before the big event. A young man I met Thursday at the wedding rehearsal had just arrived. As he walked toward us, I spoke up loudly (of course y’all know Grady): “Welcome Pastor.” He looked and smiled somewhat surprised. I laughed and said, looking down at the book he was carrying, “Glad You Came! You’re the only one with the instructions (the Bible).” Everyone laughed.

After that, the pastor and I kept running into each other and chatting. Boy did he make a mistake when he asked, “What Church Do You Attend”? I thought to myself you’re talking to the man who has been through sermons about “Washing Christ’s feet”, “Feeling the Burn”, “The Heart of Jesus “, “Walking Across the Room”, and all that while seeing several boxes of tissues in use during those sermons. Sermons to live by and stories with pure love added.

“The Ridge Manor Community United Methodist Church,” I said, smiling like a kid with a large ice cream. I looked right into his eyes and started telling him about our roots, yes the ones of old , the men and women that founded that little RMCUM Church. You see, being a building contractor and a part time gardener, I know it takes a good foundation and a good root system to make anything last. When raising vegetables, flowers and children, it takes deep roots that nourish and makes things grow.

I told him about looking around at our beautiful sanctuary and seeing what those who had come before had sewn into this church with their hard work, tithes and deep-held beliefs. I could see that they were indeed the roots that nourish, the body and soul of the church.

I went on telling him about joining that little church, watching it sprout limbs, - lots of new limbs with leaves. Yes, we loose a few limbs and some leaves fall as time goes by , but the ones that stay for nourishment received through Gods love, slowly sprout. And I truly believe no church can survive unless it has those kind of roots. God’s love has roots. The pastor looked at me and asked “Are you a root? I replied :“I wish!”

But I must add: looking back on that day when I saw Ridge Manor chapel for the first time back in 2002, my heart knew then that someday being added to the root system of this church would be an honor this side of heaven and surely God’s wish for me.

Grady
palmettogal blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 6:18 AM PST

Very nice, GT.
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 8:04 AM PST

Your roots (story) may be long, but I pray that it touches many hearts along the way.
Tammy67
Posted: Jul/29/2009 9:45 AM PST

Great story guilt trip!!!! Have you ever thought of writing a book? That was a good story!!!! Tammy
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 10:05 AM PST

That's a great story. You are so right.

---another Methodist
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 2:51 PM PST

Oh I only write when it tugs on the heart or funny bone. The one I wrote about three years ago after a Christmas stroll, was my favorite, another was the cow-pie run the funny one. sometimes we all need to take stock of our lives and roots. I thought I might get in trouble for these kind of stories here , Later Guilt Trip
Tammy67
Posted: Jul/29/2009 3:32 PM PST

Would love to hear about the cow pie run guilttrip, sounds so interesting. Please tell us the story!!! Don't I sound like a little child waiting for a bedtime story!!! I think it would go good with our gardening website here!!! Tammy
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Jul/30/2009 3:09 AM PST

Share Garden & Cow Pies
It was Saturday about 2:30 in the afternoon - Jake, Maggie and I were working in our “Share Garden.” I decided that it was time for a Cow Pie run. Earlier that morning, while having breakfast at G & G BBQ we talked with the owner, Mr. Gene, and he offered some cow pies for our garden. You know the garden soil loves cow pies, so off we went on a cow pie run.

I explained that we would be picking the pies up with a shovel and by hand. Well, that did it for a third of the cow pie crew (HA!) Jake said: “ Wait a minute! There’s no way I’m going to pick up cow poop. Huh! That cow put that poop on the ground to stay on the ground, and I’m not going!”

Maggie was ready to rumble, so off we went, but not without our shoes, gloves and shovel. Being a parent there’s a lot to learn daily, but the first thing you look for before they get in the car or - this time - the truck, is do they have shoes, shirt, pants and a clean face. Not that the clean face mattered on this trip!

We jumped in the truck, but this time was different. I put the car seat in the front of the truck. We both knew we were risking our necks if You-Know-Who (Mom) found out. But the road to Mr Gene’s house was only on the back roads from our house. It was worth the risk seeing the big grin on Maggie’s face. The grin said this was going to be fun. Starting the truck, I noticed she was dressed a little different than usual: A plastic dress-up police jacket, made of raincoat type material, garden gloves on her lap and a pair of black tennis shoes. I told Maggie I didn’t know she had black tennis shoes. She replied: “They’re Jakey’s!” I thought that was cool but said nothing. I have found out with the twins if you say nothing after you ask a question, the pause will give them an opportunity to spill. After a few seconds, she looked up at me and smiled (You know the Ha-Ha-smile) and quietly said “I didn’t want to get poop on mine.”

We both started to belly laugh. See she knew Jake may not have gone but his shoes were going to make the trip. The stories this share garden has given me memories to cherish forever. Who would think that the “Cow Pie Poop Run” would be one of my favorites.

“Thank You God.” I can’t wait to get home with those “Knuckleheads” and that Share Garden and get a load of what’s next in store for us.
Grady
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/30/2009 5:20 AM PST

Hilarious! I can't blame her. What lady wants to get cow poop on her pumps?
Tammy67
Posted: Jul/30/2009 1:49 PM PST

Guilttrip that was a great cowpie story!!! You should really publish a gardening type story book with all these short stories in it!!! These are great stories that any enthusiastic gardener would wnt to read. Tales from the garden!!! I know how she feels, kids hate to go outside and pick up the doggie pies are dog leaves. My daughter is alot better at doing it than my son!!! He should have been a girl, the way he carries on!!! Tammy
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account