Page 1 of 1[1]

watermelon

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
steeldude
Posted: Jul/22/2009 8:51 PM PST

What is the cause of the watermelon splitting ? . They are about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.. I water them just about every day , except when it rains .. But now they have started to split from the bottoms .. Thanks for the help ..
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Jul/23/2009 2:33 AM PST

Two reasons from my old guessing gourd, # 1 too much water, #2. low calcium in soil. Check with your local county agent and or my favorite the local seed & feed store to find out who in your area are vegetable or watermelon growers, that's the best local information on whats going on in your area from the heat, water, bugs, blight and what ever else comes along. Local farmers and gardeners may have the same problems this year, oh keep your fingers crossed they may have figured out what it is and give you the answer. sometimes some areas have a bad year. Good Luck Guilt Trip
floridagirl blog photos
Posted: Jul/29/2009 4:17 PM PST

I planted watermelons and I got one small melon so far. I have a grub problem the little ones I call them rolly pollys, I think their eating the blooms on the vines, I hate to use pestisides but I think I'll put something down for them. I had some home grown cantaloupes and I'd like to get some home grown watermelons too. GuiltTrip how did your melons do? floridagirl.
GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: Jul/30/2009 8:19 AM PST

all the rain did my melons in, along with about a bushel of tomatoes that were splitting and falling like the rain too. So I have a green peppers, okra and egg plant harvesting thing going on now. Later GT
floridagirl blog photos
Posted: Jul/31/2009 4:47 PM PST

Lets hope that fall gardening will be better to us than the spring was.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account