Page 1 of 1[1]

Spaghetti Squash

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Marmee19
Posted: Jul/10/2009 8:41 AM PST

We have a bountiful crop of spaghetti squash. However, when we tried harvesting the first one, we couldn't have cut into it with a machete. Even steaming it first didn't make any difference. How do we know when these are ripe? I have been told not to harvest them too early as they won't continue to ripen. Thanks, Ida Jo
allaboutliverpool photos
Posted: Jul/10/2009 12:15 PM PST

I bought a Spaghetti Squash fruit about 5 years ago, just to try the taste, with a view to growing one.

Imagine my horror when I discovered that it was one of the most unpleasant vegetables that I had ever tried (The worst being asparagus peas).

I continue to stick to Butternut Squash although I cannot resist the temptation to try different ones as well each year.

This year my experiment is with Patidou Sweet Dumpling and Pattison Orange.

I am in Liverpool, England and it can be cool and windy so I have a lot of protection for my squashes as can be seen on my site.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotment s1_homepage.html
aimee blog photos
Posted: Jul/10/2009 8:10 PM PST

Spaghetti squash are ripe when they turn nice golden yellow. Never had trouble cutting one myself, and I like 'em!

I cut them in half, take out the seeds, roast them cut side down with a little water in the pan until they are tender. Cool 'em, scrape the strings out, blot them dry, fry them with butter and salt. You can put sauce on them like pasta if you want, but do do the blotting and frying step - if you scrape it right out of the shell and eat it, it's bland and watery.

What's an asparagus pea? Asparagus and peas are good, so how could an asparagus pea be bad?
Marmee19
Posted: Jul/15/2009 7:43 AM PST

Thanks. Tried another couple of the squash. One was perfect, the other a little green. This is one of our favorite veggies so I'm hoping to really figure out about growing, harvesting and storing them. We even like them with pasta sauce. IJ
Marmee19
Posted: Jul/15/2009 7:45 AM PST

I'm more excited about hearing from someone in the UK than I am in your reply. I'm sorry you didn't like the spaghetti squash. Perhaps it was still too green or was just not a good one. It is one of our favorite veggies, and I'm hoping to figure out how to grow them successfully. I think I'm making progress, because the last one I cut and cooked was perfect. Some things are just trial and error. IJ
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account