Page 1 of 5[123 Last

Fish Tank Planter

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2009 6:40 PM PST

Experimenting again!

My brother gave me this 55 gal. fish tank today. I don't want fish so I decided to plant some of my house plants in it. If these don't survive, I'm going to try airplants next. Might add some airplants (bromeliads (sp?)) to this bunch also. I used a mister for watering don't want the tank filled with water. If I see any of the plants look like they don't like their new home I'll take them out.

Needs finishing touches but here it is. Will update as I add to it couldn't wait until it is finished.

Edit: ooops, he gave me the tank a few days ago but did all this today.

Attachments:

Rashell blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2009 6:48 PM PST

the wall color is a green color but you can't tell in the picture. look real pretty with the tank.
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2009 10:02 PM PST

I like it. You know, I have an old aquarium up in storage.......gives me ideas! Let us know how the plants like it in there.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Jun/05/2009 10:46 PM PST

Yikes, competition! Just kidding, I'll let you know.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has done something like this. Let us know if you start one fairgarden.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Jun/06/2009 6:16 PM PST

bought some plants today. first i moved them around in their pots then planted the ones I like in the tank. didn't find the airplants i wanted though. it doesn't matter 'cause once these get too big I'll replace them with something else. it will be a seasonal planter, lol.

Now i'll have to figure out how much to mist them or water them. don't want to created a breeding ground for the tiny flies.

Edit: name of some of the plants will have to ID the Bromeliads and Sedums - Pachira, 2 Bromeliads, Gasteraloe Green Gold, Haworthia fasciata "Zebra Plant", couple sedum species, Prem Polka Dot "Hypoestes", Ornithogalum caudatum "Pregnant Onion".

Attachments:

witt blog photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 4:35 AM PST

Oh, my! That is impressive as all get out! Wow. What a display. Keep us updated on this great idea.
bugnut blog photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 8:55 AM PST

My goodness, Rashell, it just doesn't get any better than that. What a brilliant idea with super results.

By the way the Joshua tree seeds are sprouting.

John
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 11:49 AM PST

I knew It! My seeds sprouted real fast last time too! So happy they did John was worried they wouldn't sprout 'cause the pod was from last years growth!

Thank you Witt and Bugnut I'm real happy with it so far! I will update.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jun/07/2009 1:51 PM PST

That looks so cool. When we got rid of our fish I set the tank up with all the elements it had only without water or fish. I used the plastic plants and had a big ceramic fancy goldfish type figurine that looks similarly colored as your bug or lizard. I can't tell which it is! And I put a little plastic turtle in it, too. That looks really neat with the live plants in it.
srilatha26
Posted: Jun/08/2009 12:33 PM PST

Great job Rashell!

Can you tell me what the soil base is made up of? I dont have a fish tank but planning to start a terrarium in a much smaller glass jar and I can use some ideas from you.

And thanks Witt, for pointing me to this discussion!
Page 1 of 5[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account