Page 1 of 1[1]

Baby Granny Smith apple tree from seed

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/23/2009 6:35 PM PST

I cut open a Granny Smith for hubby and I to share a few days ago and noticed little curlies from some of the seeds. They were sprouting! So I put them in some soil and so far I have one that's still growing.
Has anyone ever done this? I'm wondering if it's going to be a sterile tree if I do get it to grow or if I might have a nice green apple tree?
Thanks!
mcmartian
Posted: May/25/2009 7:38 PM PST

might be sterile, if they treated the fruit. might grow true to the fruit, but most fruit trees are grafted (root appropriate for the zone, graft choosen for fruit qualities).

good luck, enjoy but remember even if it does fruit, it'll be a few years till you're eating.
damethod blog photos
Posted: May/26/2009 7:09 AM PST

I believe most apples also require cross pollination in order to produce fruit.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/26/2009 8:34 AM PST

Thanks! Oh, I know it will take years. I have 3 other apple trees that were planted about about 4 that grew wild in my back field where we don't mow anymore. I've only had apples off one of them as it's easily accessible.

I figure if I can get it grow to a decent size I'll plant it outside somewhere and if it produces a good apple then fine. If not I'll have another tree. It's a win-win.
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: May/26/2009 9:18 PM PST

Keep us updated Poe. I am interested in how this turns out.
creekybearsplace
Posted: Jun/19/2009 4:34 PM PST

Hi, I just joined this site so I couls say that i have a Granny Smith apple tree grown from a seed. About 11 years ago I was cutting one open for my grandson and there was one seed with a sprout on it. We planted it in a pot inside the house and it grew. Three years later we transplanted outside in the front of the house and it continued to grow. It is now at least 15 feet tall. About 5 years ago it started to bloom and set apples. this spring it was covered with white blooms. the apples have never gotten over 2-3 inches in diameter and they are pretty sour. Last year the skin turned red in places. I don't know if they have cross pollinated with other varieties in the vicinity or what. I do have a flowering jelly crab in my backyard.
I have a question. The tree is in need of pruning, but I don't know what time of yer to do it so it doesn't hurt the tree. My grandson is somewhat cevelopmentally disabled and would be devestated if something happened to his tree.
Thanks, creekybearsplace
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: Jun/20/2009 2:15 PM PST

Check with your county extension office or a local arborist. If there's any orchards around you they could probably tell you the best time, too. We do ours in the spring while they're dormant if we can.

My tree didn't make it. It got all fuzzy and died before it got another set of leaves. Oh well.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account