• All
  • Articles
  • Videos
  • Plants
Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1[1]

What Do You Call A Flowering Plant That Does Not Die In Winter?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Halime65 photos
Posted: May/21/2009 6:39 PM PST

Hi Everyone!

I know we have annuals and perennials, but there has to be a category for plants that do not die in winter and flower all year round more than one time?

I am just beginning gardening so if this sounds silly please forgive me.

I know about "evergreens" but I am specifically talking about small flowering plants that I have seen planted here in the winter time with flowers still?

I live in Zone 8B and we don't get snow (maybe every 10-15 years)but we do get morning frost and days in the 40's. I have seen some small plants with flowers SURVIVE an evening of frost and still had blooms planted around the neighborhood.

What do they call them if they are not annuals or perennials ????

Please help my confused mind!

Thanks,
Halime
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: May/21/2009 7:29 PM PST

I would just call them perennials. A lot of plants that are considered annuals further north of 8B are perennials in our area. Sometimes, we don't even know it. In mild winters, if planted with protection, annuals survive all year. Probably what you see are hardy annuals, or just perennials. ( do I make any sense?)
Halime65 photos
Posted: May/22/2009 5:35 AM PST

Yes, you make sense~!
Thanks Carolyn
junglemn photos
Posted: Nov/09/2010 1:10 PM PST

what you need to remember there are annuals and perennials that can survive a few months of "stay close to the fire" weather. also from what ive learned is that unless the seed needs to be awakend( grape,peach, pecan, walnut etc)colder climate zoned plants can also flourish in warmer mor tropical climates which means NYC Boston Pittsburg etc can grow in tx ga and fl but as far as just needing a word for herbaceous cold hardy plants i would call them exactly that also you can go to dictionary.com or thesarus.com(sister sites linked together) and look up a definition
Halime65 photos
Posted: Dec/11/2010 9:48 PM PST

Just ran into my old post from last year. lol.
Those flowering plants I saw that survive the frosts down here without losing their flowers were PANSIES. They are planted every winter here near the Capital.
SowingSeeds
Posted: Jan/18/2011 11:07 AM PST

well of course we need some better answers, yet perennials seem like much appropriate one
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account