Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Designing your garden beds..

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 6:13 AM PST

Although there are several different ways a person can design a garden bed (any type of bed), veggies, flowers etc. Do any of you have a particular way you like to design or a rhyme or reason to why you design the way you do?
#1 I like alot of variety
#2 I love the color combinations you can create
#3 I do not use very much border materials. I like things to flow into each other.
#4 I like plants that attract bees, and hummingbirds for pollinating.
#5 I absolutely love object shapes. Example: Square, Round, Rectangles and so on.

I cant wait to check back to see your designing techniques.
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 6:32 AM PST

I too love color, greens, reds, blues, yellows, purples all grow together in my gardens. My design technique is "buy a new plant, look around the garden, find an empty space and plunk it down." Works for me.

Wow, I must take more photos of full gardens instead of individual plants. Tried to find a complete garden photo and there are none.
Linda B
KeyWee blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 9:01 AM PST

I like a very natural look. Pretty much acquire plants as I see them and like them, and then worry about where they'll go later. This does make for a bit of digging and moving now and then
Yes, yes ~ please show the plants in their surrounding environment. I am SO drawn to those types of pictures. Around the porch, next to the deck, as a yard centerpiece ~ I like to get the idea of the whole picture, it gives a point of reference. Although I do love picture close-ups of just flowers (and I am horrible-bad at taking them) there is something SO personal about all of your arrangements in their settings, and I think we don't do this enough.
GREAT idea, Linda!!!
GloriasGarden blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 3:21 PM PST

I like to design different rooms in my garden. I buy lots of plants because I think they are pretty and usually put them in an empty spot until I decide what to do next. Have a lot of flowers that I have done that with that never got moved lol
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 8:40 PM PST

Cottage garden style is for me. Nothing formal or clipped too much. I like a big variety. But since we are on the subject---usually I will buy some 6 packs and plunk the flowers any-which-a-way. This year, I am trying to plant more in groups. I want to see how this looks. I am also trying to plant things closer for a fuller look. However, I still mix my veggies, flowers and herbs all together. For color, I have always loved pink and yellow together, and always loved purple flowers. Now I am trying red and yellow together and I LOVE it. I am especially fond of plants with spikey flowers, like hyssop, gayflower, blue basil and butterfly bush.
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: May/14/2009 8:48 PM PST

Pictures of the whole beds are hard to find.....gotta do better this year.

Attachments:

KeyWee blog photos
Posted: May/15/2009 4:49 AM PST

YES! Now this is what I like to see. LOVE the picture along the fence ~ straight out of a garden magazine! Thanks, FG!!
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/15/2009 4:58 AM PST

Yardgranny, I am a plunker too! . KeyWee I do the same regarding the digging and moving. Gloria, I've done that too! fairygarden- Nice! I especially like the second one. It has the flow into it feel, to me. Another thing I like to do is have seating in all areas of my yard. That way I can see all the different angles of the designs and plants. This is my new bed this year, still work to do. I amended the soil for over a year to get it nice for my new and some old plants. I am still looking for that one plant, so when someone comes into the backyard, they go right over to it and say, I love that, what is that?!
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/15/2009 4:59 AM PST

Yardgranny, I am a plunker too! . KeyWee I do the same regarding the digging and moving. Gloria, I've done that too! fairygarden- Nice! I especially like the second one. It has the flow into it feel, to me. Another thing I like to do is have seating in all areas of my yard. That way I can see all the different angles of the designs and plants. This is my new bed this year, still work to do. I amended the soil for over a year to get it nice for my new and some old plants. I am still looking for that one plant, so when someone comes into the backyard, they go right over to it and say, I love that, what is that?!
Hmm, the pic didnt post. Oh well..haha
fairygarden blog photos
Posted: May/15/2009 6:50 AM PST

Cougar, I have to study the beds, too. I dont have a large yard so I drag my plastic lawn chair to a bed, get me a drink and sit and study. I am sure neighbors think I am insane, sitting there staring at an empty space, but that is the way I roll.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account