Page 1 of 3[123 Last

designing flower beds in a church courtyard

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
marygold
Posted: May/10/2009 6:38 PM PST

Hi all, hoping I can get some ideas here. We have recently done a major construction project at our church. Aside from building a new school and renovating the old school into parish offices and gathering spaces, we have added two links from the front and back of the church to the social hall and school which has created a courtyard. We have obtained funding for the landscaping and have had the designs drawn up ( my daughter did them , she will be graduating from college in a few weeks with a degree in design) What I'm looking for is if anyone has any pictures of courtyard plantings. The courtyard will have a beautiful Italian marble fountain in the middle,with planting areas around the whole outside edge. Of course some areas will be in complete shade for the whole day. Those I think I've got pretty well planned. I have purched some shrubbery, hydrangeas (pee gees) and what not but am looking for some ideas on mass plantings for in courtyards. Here is a pic of the bare courtyard.The glass block windows have been removed and replaced by a bank of beautiful windows and doors. The top of the raised portion has had a concrete slab added which has been died a pinkish color. Also a set of stairs has been added with rod iron railings that are made to look like roses, it's spectacular. Any ideas and especially pictures would be fabulous. Thank you in advance and may God Bless.

Attachments:

harley blog photos
Posted: May/10/2009 8:41 PM PST

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the courtyard was CONTAINER Growing. It sounds kind of tricky if its in a school zone. Will children run around this area, could it be a safety hazard? I would look for pictures at your local library or garden center for more ideas. Good Luck
marygold
Posted: May/11/2009 4:22 AM PST

This courtyard is completely enclosed.There will be some containers, like up on the raised area. There will be planters made out of stack stone pretty much around the whole perimeter. They will be 18 inches high will a cap stone on top so they can be used as seating also.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/11/2009 5:44 AM PST

If you're interested in some raised planter boxes you might have the parishioners contribute. It's probably too late to do it now, but our church invites anyone to bring in red, white, or blue flowers to be planted for Memorial Day on the church property. Maybe you could have a special day for doing something like that every year.
I'm heading for our local hospital now with mom to get some routine blood tests done and they have a really nice courtyard. I'll take my camera and see if I can get some decent shots to post for you.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/11/2009 9:42 AM PST

Here's a few I took there.

Attachments:

marygold
Posted: May/11/2009 11:23 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by poeticpeony
If you're interested in some raised planter boxes you might have the parishioners contribute. It's probably too late to do it now, but our church invites anyone to bring in red, white, or blue flowers to be planted for Memorial Day on the church property. Maybe you could have a special day for doing something like that every year.
I'm heading for our local hospital now with mom to get some routine blood tests done and they have a really nice courtyard. I'll take my camera and see if I can get some decent shots to post for you.

That's my plan, to have parishioners contribute. Hostas, perrenials, that kinda stuff. Thank you for taking the pictures and posting them, awful nice of you. And the planters with the bench in front of them is exactly what the planters will look like.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/11/2009 11:25 AM PST

I had to figure out how to edit this it's been so long since I've done one.

Attachments:

poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/11/2009 11:25 AM PST

I was happy to do it.
marygold
Posted: Jun/29/2009 3:16 PM PST

My shoulders are killing me but here's what we've done so far. The round retaining wall in the middle will enclose the fountain. The garden around it will be mostly perrenials with some annuals. Diablo ninebarks, quik fire hydrangeas, pee gee hydrangeas, endless summer hydrangeas, a host of hostas, surround the outer edge of the courtyard. The one raised garden will be dedicated to the benedictan nuns that served our parish, I'm hoping for John Paul 2 roses and many other sun lovers. Still much work to do but the pavers should all be in in the next couple of days.

Attachments:

marygold
Posted: Jun/29/2009 3:18 PM PST

More pics

Attachments:

Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account