Page 1 of 1[1]

Is my rose bush sick?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Destglo photos
Posted: May/05/2009 3:25 PM PST

Just bought my house this winter & am now exploring & investing the yard... & all the problems w/ it. Just to name one of the problems is the rose bushes. I ended up cutting all the dead branches & twigs off of them. Basically, I cut off all that looked dead to me. That was a week ago I did all the chopping, & this week I find the leaves to be turning yellow?? What is wrong w/ it, if anything? And what can I do to help it? I don't by any mean know much about flowers, but I would love to learn! That's a big reason why I joined this site, so I could learn to have a green thumb someday!? Can someone please give me some tips on ways to get a healthy, blooming rose bush? I'm not looking into entering any contests (lol), just to have healthy plants. Also, how can I get rid of the yellow leaves? I attached pictures to this posting, so if I butchered my bushes, please tell me! I hope I didn't, but like I said, I don't know much about plants/flowers...etc. Any help and or tips, would be awesome & GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,

Destiny

Attachments:

sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 3:36 PM PST

It's kind of hard to tell, is that rose in a pot? Is this one you bought or did it come with the house? From the picture it looks like there may be more than one rose in there.
Destglo photos
Posted: May/05/2009 4:09 PM PST

Good question! It's been like that since I got the house. The little old lady that lived there before me loved flowers, I've been finding flower pots in the garage w/ just dirt in them & all kinds of things. I didn't even think of that, but I bet you're right, it does kind of look like there's two different bushes though, doesn't it? I guess she had tried to plant it, or just planted it still in the planter/flower pot? I'm not exactly sure what her reasoning would be for doing that was, but that's what it looks like?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 4:34 PM PST

No telling why she planted it that way. Maybe wasn't physically able to dig? but do take the rose out of the pot and see if you don't have a really good rose there. And you say there are other pots with plants? If the plants are a good size I would put them in a flower bed now that it is officially spring.
sassmuffin blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 7:32 PM PST

Did a hole at least 18x18. Put some well composted manure in the bottom and some good top soil. You can prune all the dead wood down to ground level. Water well every 2 days for the next 10 -14 days or so, until it gets over the transplant shock. Then feed once every 4 weeks with your preferred fertilizer.
It should bounce back well.

Hope this helps.

Sass
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account