Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 2[12 Last

Cuban Oregano

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
Sister_Fearless photos
Posted: May/05/2009 8:21 AM PST

My new FAVORITE house plant is an edible herb called Cuban Oregano. Its a fuzzy leafed minty flavored and a fantastic aroma when you water it. Its really easy to propagate from cuttings. All my favorite friends and family have babies from one of my three plants. I don't know too much about them except that its good for coughs and colds in tea, and good in herb bread.
If anyone has any more info Id appreciate it.

I will follow up with a pic in a few minutes.
Sister_Fearless photos
Posted: May/05/2009 8:29 AM PST

Here are the photos

Attachments:

witt blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 9:32 AM PST

YES, YES, YES! That is exactly what I was speaking of in the Sunset Jade thread right here in the forum. The plectranthus. I love it. Mine is variegated. I make rootings and have them in all my 20+ flower beds in the summer. Son let the mother plant die over the winter in his solarium this year, but I got some cuttings from one of my friends whom I had given it to a few years ago.
I haven't had time to find the photo, but maybe I will have time to find it now.
I just adore that plant!
witt blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 9:40 AM PST

Here's an old photo that I could find.

I got the original plant at Unique Gardening in Charlotte over fifteen years ago. I loved that nursery. It's no longer there unfortunately. I would root off the plant like crazy. Almost all my friends have one now.

You can see in the picture perfect places where there are stems that need to be clipped, and they are great for making the cuttings. I have some rooting right now and when they get a bit bigger, I'll root off them and on and on and on. Son swears that he won't let it die next winter!

Attachments:

witt blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 9:48 AM PST

I found some more pictures of them out in the yard.
One in the Butterfly Garden, one by the birdbath, and one in the Rock Garden.

OK, OK, I'll stop now before I get carried away.

Attachments:

Sister_Fearless photos
Posted: May/05/2009 10:50 AM PST

ooooooohh I like the variegated variety. I was told here on the Oregon coast that its an indoor only plant that needs to stay warm and can get sun burn pretty easy.

Do you know any more about its medicinal properties?
witt blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 2:54 AM PST

All I know is that mine loves the great outdoors in the summer. One year I had them dispersed in the Butterfly Garden and the leaves grew to over 2 inches and really thick. They displayed all kinds of color variegations. They just won't take a hint of frost.
Also the only medicinal qualities that I know of are for colds, bronchitis, and some digestive problems.
islandheron
Posted: Jun/08/2010 10:57 AM PST

Hi,

I just bought some Cuban Oregano from Richters in Canada. The tag it comes with says it is not for cooking, but see on your post that you use it in cooking. This plant is not the same as I grow in Florida during the winter and does not have the same strong oregano odour or taste. The plant I have in Florida has variegated leaves.

Do you indeed use it in cooking and I assume since you do, there are no harmful effects.
Thanks,Sherrill
iloveokra blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 2:05 AM PST

Hi,(new here)I have the variegated Cuban Oregano that my father in law gave me and it is doing great outside in the full sun. He has his in his carport in the shade and they don't look as full as mine. I have used it in salsa and love it. I think I read somewhere that it's in the coleus family? I LOVE herbs! I was wondering about it helping to repel insects. I'm in South Florida.
witt blog photos
Posted: Jul/22/2010 5:12 AM PST

I'm not sure if it is in the coleus family or not. Cuban oregano is Plectranthus amboinicus.Yes, it can be used in cooking.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account