Page 1 of 2[12 Last

what type of aloe is this?

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: May/04/2009 4:56 PM PST

ok so i was lookin fer aloevera have been fer awhile actually well i found something at trader joes just "assorted succulents" theres a traderjoes paper bag behind it for scale (the same size as a pick-n-save paper bag or about same as woodmansor roundys or the re-usable fabric bags those are as wode but like an inch shorter)

on to the pics to me the plant looks alittle crowded im corious bout that too (i did just fer and water it today)

Attachments:

RosemarieRo photos
Posted: May/05/2009 7:53 AM PST

It could very well be Aloe vera (syn. Aloe barbadensis). You will probably need to wait for it to bloom to get a positive ID on it.
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 2:24 PM PST

they bloom? when? far as i know they dont bloom or its not known to me that they do you get more from like shutes that the mother plant sends out once there strong enough can take them off
RosemarieRo photos
Posted: May/05/2009 2:55 PM PST

Yes, Aloes bloom! Beautiful blooms! I don't know where you live, but maybe it isn't warm enough where you are -long enough to promote blooming?

What do you mean by "shutes"? A stem of some sort? Does it have leaves on it too?
yardgranny6 blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 4:31 PM PST

If I am remembering correctly all succulants bloom. Here is a website with decent pictures of several types of aloe.

http://borrego.thegardenjournals.org/?cat=25
biyu_wolf_77 blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 7:10 PM PST

im in zone 5 se wi so unless summer gets REALLY hot i dont think the aloe will bloom there more/less just house plants round here

the like suckers the way i knowq of propragating them think of it like a mint runner that you can chop from the main plant ionce its so big and youll get a whole nother plant same as mother in type but a seperate plant (hope that makes senvce i know more of select herbs then i do succulents)
EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: May/06/2009 5:03 AM PST

I had a aloe that I let grow down and around the pot. It was lovely and unusual as a hanging plant!
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 6:50 AM PST

That looks like the standard, regular aloe vera plant to me. I have had several for many years and none have bloomed. They have been in full sun, some sun, and full shade. Never bloomed. My oldest plant was given to me by my grandmother when I got married over 33 years ago. I'm in the deep south, so heat is not a problem!
RosemarieRo photos
Posted: May/06/2009 9:04 AM PST

Yardgranny, that site by Dana (Borrego) is great for Aloes. He has dedicated it to pix and info on them. I met him a few yrs ago & we traded plants then. I have a couple neat Aloe from him.

Biyu, I think yours is an Aloe vera. I think you're describing pups, which may look like runners other plants have.

Carolyncat, sorry to hear yours have never bloomed for you. You're missing out! You have thrown out my guess that heat would help them bloom.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 10:23 AM PST

Rose, I have seen some of the other, stiffer/sturdier aloes bloom, but not mine. I do have 2 different types-one makes a real thick, fleshy stalk and the other is thinner, longer and a tad tougher.
Page 1 of 2[12 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account