Page 1 of 3[123 Last

Dragonflies & Lady Bugs

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/01/2009 6:58 AM PST

I have been out in the yard for days now. I have seen a handful of Dragonflies and ALOT of Lady Bugs. Do Dragonflies mean anything specific? The Lady Bugs that I have seen are orange with no spots, that is the same, right? I have heard that the orange ones are not beneficial, I hope thats not true.
cgagain blog photos
Posted: May/01/2009 3:34 PM PST

You probably have the spotless lady beetle......... they're ok.
Check out this site...http://www.geocities.com/sseagraves/ladybug facts.htm

For the last 20 years we always have released 5000 plus lady bugs here - this year I don't think we'll need to.
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/03/2009 6:18 AM PST

Im sorry I have tried to view that and It wont come up. Hey at least its not a bad thing (ladybugs).
thirdgeneration blog photos
Posted: May/03/2009 8:04 AM PST

The spotless or 7 spotted is the one you want. The one you don't want is the multicolored, they are considered the pests. Here's a different site for you.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_ladybird_spotle ss.htm
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 6:21 AM PST

Here is a pic of the dragonfly. I have a red and yellow one, a yellish blue one but they wont sit still like this one did.

Attachments:

GuiltTrip blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 1:03 PM PST

Wow that dragon fly looks like s cross between a Mosquito and a Humming Bird, Ours in the South don't look like that, nice looking bug as bugs go though, ? GT.
thirdgeneration blog photos
Posted: May/05/2009 6:33 PM PST

Wow that's a great picture. Mine are about the same, but I can never get a picture. Sorry to say that dragonflies don't have the wonderful legends about them, like the ladybug. The ladybug is good luck, where the dragonfly really is its opposite. It is like a play of good and evil in nature.
cougar blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 5:07 AM PST

Ok I am puzzled now. I know the ladybug eats aphids and others. What is the evil nature of a DragonFly? Will it be harmful in my garden? I have heard myths of the Pranmantis (sp) being what this elder gentlemen told me...as the devil bug. I get a few of those throughout the summer too. Please enlighten me, I would appreciate it.
told2b blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 11:32 AM PST

"A single dragonfly can eat 100 mosquitoes and larvae in 30 minutes. They are attracted by placing three-foot high poles in sunny spots in your yard. They like long pieces of bamboo. Dragonflies do not bite people."

"Praying Mantis is another excellent predator insect to have in your yard. Egg cases cost about $3 each and contain 50 to 200 eggs. These hatch in the spring and the baby mantis start patrolling your garden. It's a great project for your children to watch the eggs and the baby bugs develop."

Personally, I find the Mantid does not live up to its reputation.
But it's still a good bug.

Attachments:

carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: May/06/2009 11:46 AM PST

A dragonfly will bite!!! If you're a kid and you catch one by it's tail, it will curl up and bite you! (lol) but it doesn't hurt. And they don't go looking to bite people. Yes, they eat mosquitoes, and there is an old saying about the height at which dragonflies fly means something with the weather, but I can't remember! Wish I had paid more attention to the old people.
Maybe by the devil bug he was talking about the "Walking Stick"? Which I know next to nothing about, except that they look like a Praying Mantis but are brown.
Page 1 of 3[123 Last
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account