Page 1 of 1[1]

Raspberry Help

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
chrispaul97 blog photos
Posted: Apr/28/2009 7:27 AM PST

I've got one raspberry bush that looks like it's dying. Could it just be a bad bush? I got it this year. The one next to it looks great.

Attachments:

msmeg
Posted: Apr/29/2009 3:11 PM PST

It looks like the old cane is not good so there will be no fruit this year but it is sending out new growth that looks healthy I would prune the old part off and let the growth go to the healthy new growth that will produce next years fruit.

Really you should not let them fruit this year anyway.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/08/2009 5:40 AM PST

That's good advice. My grandmother had a patch in the front yard and they survived for years without much care. Every year she'd have lots of berries if the Japanese Beetles or birds didn't get them.
fschukar
Posted: May/12/2009 3:37 PM PST

When you cut it back (I assume you're going to), look at the "core" to see if it has been hollowed out. Raspberries are attacked by a borer that hangs out in the roots and attacks the interior of the stems and kills the stems and eventually, the plant.
If you have a borer, some form of treatment will be needed to keep it from attacking others in the row.
Fritz
Gwen blog photos
Posted: May/13/2009 8:04 AM PST

I just purchased two rasberry plants and I am wondering if anyone know's if they grow in a busch or on a vine? I want to plant them soon and we have a lattice that I can use but want to make sure I plant them appropriately. Thanks!
fschukar
Posted: May/14/2009 12:34 PM PST

They generally will grow as single canes that form a "group". Usually 5' high or less and require little training. Most plant them in a row but with two, just a couple of feet apart would be fine. If they leaf and start to lean out into the open space (which they often do), you could simply put a soft tie around the canes.
Raspberries that fruit on new wood need to be cut back to the ground each fall. The ones that fruit on last years wood (usually the ever-bearers) need this years' fruiting canes cut back to the ground.
Hope this helps.
F.
chrispaul97 blog photos
Posted: Jun/16/2009 7:15 AM PST

I pruned off the dead stems and the bush is doing much better now. It's very small but is growing. I'm sure next year there will be fruit.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account