Page 1 of 1[1]

Fire In The Bush?? Yes--no--yes--no???

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
rockybane blog photos
Posted: Apr/25/2009 8:19 PM PST

So I have this bush that I and everyone around here has always called Fire In The Bush. It has loads of red blossoms on it, very early in the spring. It is one of the first things to bloom here, right with or right after forsythia.

It has loads of thorns, too.

This bush has been in everybody's yard around here ever since I can remember, but when I search for it or look in catalogs, there is another Fire In The Bush that is NOT this bush at all.

I am content to call it by the name I have always known it as, but I am just wondering what this bush's "real" name is? Does anybody out there know what it is?

Attachments:

aimee blog photos
Posted: Apr/25/2009 9:23 PM PST

Looks like a flowering quince. If it ever gets quinces on it, they make great jelly.

From University of Arkansas website - "More sophisticated gardeners know this plant as Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles speciosa), but old timers still call it Japonica. It's a round-topped, deciduous shrub growing 6 feet tall and 10 feet across. These old plants become a tangle of branches, but they persist for years without benefit of pruning. Flowering quince produces stout thorns and, at one time, it was common to see hedges made from it.

In late winter, usually well before it's safe to do so, it begins opening a few blossoms to test the weather. Full bloom is in early March, about the time forsythia flowers. These abandoned shrubs almost always have single, pinkish-orange blossoms that are about the size of a quarter. Newer forms are often double flowered with blooms in shades of pink, red or white.

Flowering quince, provided the flowers are not killed by a late freeze, will produce a hard, ugly, pear-like fruit. These tart fruit can be used in jelly making, but are usually produced erratically and in small numbers so few jelly makers ever get good at perfecting their art."

Attachments:

rockybane blog photos
Posted: Apr/26/2009 1:21 PM PST

Well.....thanks!!! I do believe you nailed it!

I have never seen any fruits on these bushes, but that doesn't mean it's not on there, I just never thought about it having fruit, and never looked later on.

It's horribly thorny, but it is pretty in the spring.

Thanks again!
Karen
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account