Page 1 of 1[1]

cold hardy cactus

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
churchhaus
Posted: Apr/23/2009 8:08 AM PST

hello

i'm a new member to G.G. and think i'll like it here! we have many kinds of gardens, many kinds of plants.

right now i'm wondering if anyone is doing any gardening with cold hardy cacti. we are in MN Z4, but we are not afraid to "push the zone" a little and experiment with zone 5. we've had pretty good success!

thanks, good gardening, good cup of coffee too!
michael
Rashell blog photos
Posted: Apr/25/2009 8:37 PM PST

Opuntia genus ("200 species") is mentioned a lot on the net. It (maybe 1 specie, maybe all) is supposedly cold hardy. Also I read Claret Cup Cactus is cold hardy. Both for zone 4.

I'm only writing about what I've "heard"/read so you'll have to look them up too.

Welcome to GG! You'll have lots of fun here. & oh boy was it good coffee!
harley blog photos
Posted: May/09/2009 6:08 AM PST

I have some sort of cactus that blooms yellow every summer planted in my garden. It spreads. Has the most georgous blooms. I will share pics when it blooms now that i know how to. Every winter it shrivels up and looks like it will die. But comes back bigger than the year before. I do have an issue with weeding around it though. LOL
churchhaus
Posted: May/11/2009 8:49 AM PST

hi,
thanks for replies, i'm sorry i haven't been back on the site for awhile. had ankle surgery in january and still taking care of that, so gardening is pretty much in the 'dreaming' catagory yet!

oh well, there's nothing wrong with sitting enjoying coffee in the sunshine!
witt blog photos
Posted: May/12/2009 2:46 AM PST

I hope that you are now on the mend and will be back in the garden soon.
poeticpeony blog photos
Posted: May/16/2009 8:03 AM PST

I hope you get back out into the dirt soon. I have prickly pear cactus in zone 5 that are pretty old and reliable with lake effect Ohio winters. They spread and get yellow flowers on them so it may be what the previous poster has, too. They sound similar in habit.

When i do anything around them I wear some type gloves even if they're just surgical type and I use my tongs from the kitchen to weed around them. They're good for lifting pads that might be ground level. They're very easy to transplant. They root about anywhere you lay them.

If you get a thorn in your skin I've had good luck just putting a piece of tape over it and pulling it off.
Rashell blog photos
Posted: May/18/2009 11:29 AM PST

Quote:
Originally posted by churchhaus
hi,
thanks for replies, i'm sorry i haven't been back on the site for awhile. had ankle surgery in january and still taking care of that, so gardening is pretty much in the 'dreaming' catagory yet!

oh well, there's nothing wrong with sitting enjoying coffee in the sunshine!

WOW! Since january?! how long till you are back up again? did docs tell you? Maybe you can keep busy by growing bonzai trees and/or house plants for now?
RiverRock blog photos
Posted: May/19/2009 10:28 PM PST

Opuntias:
O. humifusa
O. phaecantha
O. fragilis (only in pots)
O. polyacantha
many hybrids of unknown origin

Cylindropuntia (cholla):
O. imbricata (tall)
O. whippleii
O. viridiflora

Echinocereus:
E. reichenbachii
E. triglochidiatus

Escobaria:
E. vivipara

All are good for colder climates. I am a zone 5 and we get deep freezes in the winter..I have been making a rock grden and am doing cacti and succulents and this is what my research has unvailed thanks to a few great helpers on the cacti/succulent forum of GardenWeb.

RR
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account