Page 1 of 1[1]

Need help to get rid of ferns

Most Active Topic:
Most Recent Topic:
Member Message
jenniferlyneaton
Posted: Apr/08/2009 8:46 AM PST

I have a 4x12ft raised garden that I use to plant veggies. HELP! Ferns have taken over - I don't currently have any veggies in it, but would like to plan my seedlings soon. Last year a few ferns came up and I tried to dig them out -very difficult. This year there are many more!!!! Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

THANKS!
MamaBearBSA photos
Posted: Apr/08/2009 10:43 AM PST

I'm sorry but my advise would be to just dig right in and dig them all out. If you use a vegetation killer, you won't be able to plant anything else this year. You could try solarizing it but if the roots go deep I don't know how affective that would be.
fschukar
Posted: Apr/12/2009 4:06 PM PST

I think you can use roundup on them. The farmers use it here in their fields in the spring prior to planting. There is a wait period, read the label for specifics. I'm thinking its like 3 weeks but I'm sure its weather-dependent. If they're the sword ferns like we have here in OR they're tougher'n whangleather. Another thought might be to dig down below the level of the bed and cover with multiple layers of newspaper or cardboard. Both will breakdown over time and add organic matter to the beds.
F.
carolyncat353 blog photos
Posted: Apr/13/2009 6:54 AM PST

A good way to use the herbicide (roundup), and not bother the other plants is to apply it with a paintbrush. I also use some sort of buffer when I apply it in a bed where there are other plants (like a piece of cardboard). Ferns are extremely hard to get rid of.
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account