Page 1 of 1[1]

Cypress?

Most Active Topic:
Member Message
Mountain-Sprite blog photos
Posted: Mar/28/2009 1:43 PM PST

Im in zone 2b. I have a whole "hedge" of these trees between our chainlink fence and the neighbors yard. They were here when we bought out house 8 years ago and have grown at least 3 - 5 feet since we moved in. There are two huge cypress trees in our yard, one is 30 ft at least and the other is 20. Are these the same tree? I haven't seen any globular pine cones on them. If so, we have a very small side yard I am afraid they will overtake it. There are several planted along the property line in the front yard as well. I had to stake them because they were leaning over. Could these be problems that should be removed?

Attachments:

EvonneStoryteller photos
Posted: Mar/28/2009 3:15 PM PST

http://www.bomengids.nl/uk/cypresses.html
Take a peek at the link!

http://www.bomengids.nl/uk/soorten/Wierook_ceder__ Calocedrus_decurrens__Incense_ceder.html

This one looked the closest to me!
Incense ceder
Mountain-Sprite blog photos
Posted: Mar/29/2009 5:39 PM PST

Evonne,
Oh my gosh, that's it! Great...now I've got a potential forest growing between my fence. Aaagghh! Well, at least it's a slow grower, but I'm still concerned about the trunk growing in between the chainlink. There's only about 15-inches of room there.

The first year we bought the house I pruned all the branches to four feet off the ground, so at least they are not growing in between the actual link. We will probably be living here at least 10 more years, so I don't think they will become a problem in the back yard, and I suppose we can always have them chopped off at the top of the chainlink if we need too. I don't know what the previous owners were thinking when they planted these trees.

The ones in the front yard will be cool as a hedge to block the neighbors out. Yippee!
Page 1 of 1[1]
Read Next Discussion
You must be a registered member to participate in the forums. Login or register below.

or Create an account